• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(NJ)Incorrect License Plate/Moving Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drzeus99

Hello,
I'm in NJ and received the most ridiculous ticket for a moving violation that I know of. I actually received a ticket for driving in the left lane of a 3 lane major, intercontinental highway (I 80), which runs right across the whole US.
Even though there were hundreds of other cars driving in the same lane, a rookie state trooper with an obvious quota to reach (2nd to last day of the month) singled me out to give me a ticket.

The court date is in 4 days, and I've yet to pay the ticket. I went online tonight (Sat 12-10) to pay the ticket. After inputting all the information, it kept showing an error and said *Invalid License Plate Number".

I've used the NJ online payment once before, and it worked perfectly.

This time, it is showing that it doesn't show any ticket with my license plate number. I looked at the actual ticket, and the writing in the license plate # section is extremely sloppy and could easily have been misread by the person inputting the data into the computerized system.

My question:

If the system does not have my correct licenese plate # in it, and the ticket can't be clearly read, is this a serious enough error of misrepresenting the vehicle on the ticket to warrant it being dismissed. (It also has the color of the vehicle as tan, when it is a bright shiny gold color - and the ticket was issued in the daytime hours on a sunny, clear day).

Any advice on what I should do? It's really cutting it close to the court date and I need to make a decision on what to do ASAP.

Thanks,
Alex

sukharev

I did not get it, was the ticket for speeding?

Regardless, all of the errors you list may help the case slightly, but would not be your winning strategy. If you want to fight the ticket, do so with a complete set of tools. Request continuance from the court, to get discovery done, etc.

If you just want to pay, send in the check and brace for insurance hike. The ticket is in your name, with your drivers license, so plate number is irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">