• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

49 in a 30 in NY (from NJ)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kev McCallister

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hey all,

Received a speeding ticket for going 49 in a 30 in NY (Walton, NY to be exact.) Cop made sure to remind me it was a school zone (nevermind that it was 5:00 PM on a Sunday ;)

Couple questions for you guys:

1. Does NY report points to NJ?

2. Does NJ Manufacturer's Auto Insurance have a surcharge for points? (I was told by someone that it was one of the only auto insurance companies that didn't add surcharges for points).

3. Since Walton, NY is 3 hours away from my NJ residence, is there a way I could organize a plea deal to reduce points (and probably still pay the fine) by way of a letter? Has anyone had experience with doing this before?

4. If I wanted to get the points taken away by a driver's ed. course, would I have to take the course in NY or NJ, since I live in NJ but got the ticket in NY?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

sukharev

Q1. Does NY report points to NJ?

A1. Yes. Anything is worth 2 points

Q2. Does NJ Manufacturer's Auto Insurance have a surcharge for points? (I was told by someone that it was one of the only auto insurance companies that didn't add surcharges for points).

A2. Call your insurance to find out.

Q3. Since Walton, NY is 3 hours away from my NJ residence, is there a way I could organize a plea deal to reduce points (and probably still pay the fine) by way of a letter? Has anyone had experience with doing this before?

A3. Don't know for sure, but unlikely.

Q4. If I wanted to get the points taken away by a driver's ed. course, would I have to take the course in NY or NJ, since I live in NJ but got the ticket in NY?

A4. Again, call your insurance to find out. Likely in NJ, unless DS is used as one of the options to substitute for guilty verdict on speeding in NY (I don't think it is).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">