• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Off duty cop giving tickets the next day.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CotySr

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

First, this is a question for a friend that a group of friends and I have argued/debated over a few hours now...

Saturday, my friend was driving down the interstate speeding. A car came up behind him and started driving really close to him. My friend started driving faster to get away from the car. The car was following him until they were both goin around 115 mph. The car then backed off and my friend got off of the interstate. The next afternoon, my friend got a call from a guy that said he was an off duty cop that was following him yesterday. He got his phone number from his step-dad. The cop said he was going to have one of his cop buddies to write some tickets to him. My friend asked the cop if he could ask him a question, and the cop replied, "No, you will be recieving your tickets in the mail." and hung up.

Is there any merit to his ability to have another cop write tickets to him, even though he was not at the scene? The cop didn't identify himself or anything. He said he flashed his badge, but my friend didn't see him do it. My friend was only trying to get away from what he thought was a crazy lunatic driver. Please give me legal advice to this. Thank you.

sukharev

Police did nothing wrong. :D

When your friend shows up in court, the cop that was following him should be there. If he is not, everything prosecutor presents can be objected to as a hearsay.

That said, 115 MPH is very high. Being tailgated is not a good excuse, you can just as well slow down and let the crasy driver pass. So, even though the proof of your speed may be missing, your friend can still be found guilty. Wait until he gets the ticket, then post back what was on it.

CotySr

sukharev said:
Police did nothing wrong. :D

When your friend shows up in court, the cop that was following him should be there. If he is not, everything prosecutor presents can be objected to as a hearsay.

That said, 115 MPH is very high. Being tailgated is not a good excuse, you can just as well slow down and let the crasy driver pass. So, even though the proof of your speed may be missing, your friend can still be found guilty. Wait until he gets the ticket, then post back what was on it.
Thank you, and I will post it here when he gets it.
When the cop started chasing him, he was only going about 15mph over the speed limit, although I guess that doesn't matter. My friend wouldn't have been that upset other than the cop being a total a-hole. Also, he doesn't want the points on his record. If there was a way to possibly get the ticket lowered, he has tons of money so the amount isn't the problem. He just doesn't want the points on his record. If you think there's anything he can do to lower the ticket, please let me know. If not, then I'll be posting when he gets his tickets. Thanks.

sukharev

If money is not an issue, then hire an attorney. However, if money is not an issue, why worry about a speeding ticket? Just pay up, and don't speed in future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">