• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Unmarked Cars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kalamazoo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Mich. but question is about Ohio. I understand that Ohio does not allow traffic stops to be made by unmarked patrol cars. Apparently this is a result of a rapist using a "stick on" flashing light that pulled people (women I would guess) over to perpetrate his crime. I believe this happened some 25-30 years ago. Needless to say the people of Ohio were very upset, so a judge issued a ruling against the unmarked cars making pull-over stops. So now I have found this rule showing up in the Ohio Rules of Evidence, Art. VI, Rule 601 re:witnesses, cops not in legally distinct uniform or not in properly marked vehicle as not competent witness.
My Question is this, does anyone know judge who gave the original ruling? or
the underlying case, assuming they ever caught and tried the rapist?

sukharev

Post details of your case before asking such questions. You don't want to look like law student doing some research.

Kalamazoo

Well excuse me, I'm new to this site (yesterday) and may not be familiar with all of the rules, quirks, nuances, and ettiquettes. But I think that your 25 year limit is quite limiting, as the Constitution is, what, some 216 years old now...Besides I wasn't asking for research as much as I was hoping that someone new the event from memory....Now as far as posting my case as opposed to looking like a law student, yes I have something of a case (so congratulations on being so astute)... But it will be posted under Criminal law and procedure (tonight) and doesn't really contain any question as much as it is something for every citizen to be informed of. Titled "Knock and Talk."...As far as being a law student, everyone should study law, but no I do not want to be an Attorney and accept a Title of Nobility as forbidden by the Constitution....In any case, my question still stands...Does any one remember why unmarked patrol cars can not do pull overs in Ohio?

leg123

Kalamazoo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Mich. but question is about Ohio. I understand that Ohio does not allow traffic stops to be made by unmarked patrol cars. Apparently this is a result of a rapist using a "stick on" flashing light that pulled people (women I would guess) over to perpetrate his crime. I believe this happened some 25-30 years ago. Needless to say the people of Ohio were very upset, so a judge issued a ruling against the unmarked cars making pull-over stops. So now I have found this rule showing up in the Ohio Rules of Evidence, Art. VI, Rule 601 re:witnesses, cops not in legally distinct uniform or not in properly marked vehicle as not competent witness.
My Question is this, does anyone know judge who gave the original ruling? or
the underlying case, assuming they ever caught and tried the rapist?
In Ohio, Ohio Revised Code states that a police car must have a flashing light of some sort mounted on top of it. You can find ORC online. Yes, I believe you are correct that it is because of a rapist from a long time ago, however the law is applicable today b/c of ORC.

jmwsf

Wait a minute, I was pulled over 3 yrs ago by an unmarked Sheriff vehicle and I was given a warning. SO, does that mean I was given a warning because he couldn't issue a ticket? Why is it that people from Ohio don't know of this law?

Just Blue

Kalamazoo said:
Well excuse me, I'm new to this site (yesterday) and may not be familiar with all of the rules, quirks, nuances, and ettiquettes. But I think that your 25 year limit is quite limiting, as the Constitution is, what, some 216 years old now...Besides I wasn't asking for research as much as I was hoping that someone new the event from memory....Now as far as posting my case as opposed to looking like a law student, yes I have something of a case (so congratulations on being so astute)... But it will be posted under Criminal law and procedure (tonight) and doesn't really contain any question as much as it is something for every citizen to be informed of. Titled "Knock and Talk."...As far as being a law student, everyone should study law, but no I do not want to be an Attorney and accept a Title of Nobility as forbidden by the Constitution....In any case, my question still stands...Does any one remember why unmarked patrol cars can not do pull overs in Ohio?
The members of this forum donate their time to help people with legal issues...they don't have the time, and perhaps the desire, to do this kind of research. Our time is better spent helping, and yes, sometimes mocking those that come to us with real problems... ;)

Have a nice day.... :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">