• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person I Am No Longer Friends With Sending SPAM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattmk

California.

Hi, I was friend with a certain someone for about 9 months, and about a week ago he decided to hate everyone around him, including me. Today, I log into both of my email accounts and notice that I have been signed up for a large amount of newletters. I know he has my email address saved into his computer because of the history drop-down menus when typing into a field. In one of these emails it states the IP address of the person who signed me up. This IP is coming from the same apartment complex I live in (we are provided high-speed internet with our rent, so all IPs are within the same range). There lives only 1 person (the ex-friend) who would have done this. Is this illegal under the CAN-SPAM law or any other law? Could this be considered harrassment? My mother is paralegal and I work at the firm when I am back home on break from college. I would ask them but I want to make sure that it is illegal. My hope is, once I have 100% proof that it is him either by word of mouth from his friends that I know (he has a big mouth and will tell his other friends) or by having his roommate check his IP, have one of the attorneys I'm friends with write a letter stating the consequences of his actions to scare him (he is the kind of person who will lose sleep after being scared).

Thank you very much.

mattmk

I would, but Yahoo tries to do it automatically, which it fails to be efficiently. He signed me up for 38 newsletters so far, I never received this junk before this incident. This isn't the only other crap he's tried to pull. He posted 2 other ex-friends' phone numbers on craiglists male-male casual encounters, both of which received phone calls at 4am from someone interested. He has used www.sprintrelayonline.com to call American Eagle roughly 10 times in a single hour where his ex-roommate works (almost getting him fired), claiming to be his ex-roommate's friend.

Isn't this harrassment?

HomeGuru

mattmk said:
I would, but Yahoo tries to do it automatically, which it fails to be efficiently. He signed me up for 38 newsletters so far, I never received this junk before this incident. This isn't the only other crap he's tried to pull. He posted 2 other ex-friends' phone numbers on craiglists male-male casual encounters, both of which received phone calls at 4am from someone interested. He has used www.sprintrelayonline.com to call American Eagle roughly 10 times in a single hour where his ex-roommate works (almost getting him fired), claiming to be his ex-roommate's friend.

Isn't this harrassment?

**A: change your email address.

CdwJava

mattmk said:
I am now receiving blocked calls from this same person and I received one tonight at 2.30am. He is using the service www.springrelayonline.com to make these calls. Does this not constitute harassment?
CA does not have a crime of "harassment".

Proving that he is signing you up for these e-mail lists is not going to be a high priority for the police ... especially since it can easily be seen as non-criminal. Obtaining a subpoena for IP addresses from ISPs, then tracking down the owner of the ISP account and trying to track down the origin of your spam is not going to be high on their list.

If you are receiving unwanted phone calls at 2:30 AM you can always report "annoying and harassing phone calls" to the police, and then you can get a "trap" put on your phone by your phone service provider. This trap is generally good for 30 days and will trap the numbers of all callers. The police can then use that information to file against the caller.

If you can prove he is doing this you can TRY to obtain a restraining order, but I'm not sure if a judge would issue one based on this stuff alone.

- Carl

stephenk

start having fun. sign him up for the same newsletters, put his phone number on craigslist for male-male encounters, put him on the Nambla mailing list.

The possibilities are endless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">