• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over & being asked to pop the hood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex02

What is the name of your state? Ca

Being pulled over & asked to open the hood is considered searching the car correct?

What could give a cop probably cause to search my car (engine bay)?
Do they have to be certified in some kind of smog traning to give them the right to say "hey thats illegal so im sending you to the smog referee bad boy"?

A buddy of mine was pulled over in his mustang because of his loud exhaust. Ater hearing it up close he said he heard suspicous noises so that gave him probable cause to search his car (engine bay). This sounds like total BS & if i was in his situation i wouldnt let him search anything in my car or my engine bay or trunk. I dont have drugs, weapons or anything else in plain sight that would give the cop probable cause to forcibly search my car either.

There was another situation as well where another buddy of mine in with a camaro was asked to pop his hood in a parking lot or else the car would be towed (didnt have anything in plain sight to give probable cause). Again, i think this is total BS

Can somebody clarify the law on this?
Im in a car club (toyota mr2's) & i THINK that people are allowing cops to search their cars b/c theyre cops & because they dont know their rights, so i would like to inform my car club & clear up each members rights on the road.

Any specific statues you'd like to site or resources?
I have "modified parts" on my car & 85% of the parts are CARB approved with stickers while the other parts 15% were fabricated by myself & do not have carb stickers. Most cops ARENT trained to identify parts that deal with emissions, so getting sent to a smog referee & court because his lack of knowledge is a major PAIN! Ive talked with members of our car club that have been sent to smog refs because they had gauges to monitor certain instruments that pertain to the engine & @ the smog refferee station they just laugh...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">