• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I know it's a civil matter..but help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Allen1

I live in Minnesota and my boyfriend and I recently broke up after a six year relationship. He has lived with me for appox 4 years of the 6. Bills were kept seperate his were his and mine were mine. Within the last couple years I borrowed him some money for some truck repairs, and the biggest thing was a judgement for past due child support. We were going to build a house together and he didn't have the money to pay that off. He said he would pay me back when he sold his racing boat and motorcycle but didn't pay me when the boat sold, instead he paid off his credit card. I ended up putting the house in my name only as he didn't have any money to put towards the down payment. When it came time to buy new appliances I asked him to charge them and I would subtract that from the money he owed me, and he did. During the time he lived here he did some work on my unfinished basement which he knew I couldn't afford to have finished when the house was built. I did not ask him to do any of that work nor did I say I would ever pay for it. He also purchased some black dirt for landscaping and blocks for a small retaining wall. I was driving a vehicle in his name for the last 18 months and told him I would not return it until I got a check for $7300 which would be the money he owed me after subtracting the cost of the appliances he charged. He sent me a check for $4800.00. He did not credit me the $600.00 rebates he received for the appliances (he says total was $3300. and I have receipts showing a total of $2700.) and he subtracted $1900.00 for the wood, dirt and retaining wall he purchased for the basement. He says he has receipts. He has also entered my residence 4 or 5 times to retain property when I was at work and my children were home. He even dug a tree up in my yard that his mother gave us, which I used "his" black dirt to fill in the hole he left. He also came and took that vehicle I was driving from the parking lot when I was working without notice with all my personal possesions in it including my cell phone. I guess my question is: am I justified in asking for the rebate credit for the appliances and do I have to pay him for work he did on the house when he was living here? And should I ask for a restraining order? I told him I needed the cash to purchase a new vehicle. I have not cashed his check. Help!

HomeGuru

Cash the check before you can't. Get a restaining order. Calculate the rebate credit for the appliances then add up the cost and amount of labor that he cliams for work done on the house, then deduct the fair rental value for using his truck, add the amount of statuatory interest on the money you loaned him, plus the fair market value of the tree, call it even on the black dirt, but charge an even split for the retaining wall blocks, then factor in a cost of living allowance, and an estimated aggravation and pain and suffering fee, multiply the subtotal by the Federal Reserve interest rate as determined by the Fannie Mae cost of funds index, divide by the Nasdaq total losses of puts and calls and add in the number of times you had sex but had a headache and add an estimated fee based on a by the hour charge and add this amount to the subtotal to arrive at a grand total. You should have enough for a brand new SUV.

A

Allen1

I know it's a civil matter...but help!

I followed you all the way up to the Nasdaq and the sex with headaches. Although I thought about charging for cooking and cleaning services. If I cash his check is that equal to accepting his offer and it's a done deal?

HomeGuru

On the bottom of the check write in partial payment. Then do the same thing on the back when you endorse it to cash it. Do it on Monday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">