• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS and CA share points?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NY&CA

Just got a ticket from NYS trooper. Ticket reads: NYS V AND T LAW; section 1142A. This is failure to yield right of way at stop sign.
Background: I have Calif license, and was driving a rental car on a country road. Last month I took Calif traffic school for a CHP issued speeding ticket, and was thus expunged by taking traffic school. I have no other tickets in the last 20 months.
Question: Will the failure to stop ticket, issued in NY result in points against my Calif license?, and will insurance catch it? I don't know what the point count would be in NY, but think it is 2 or 3 points.
I live and fly between NY and CA often, and see far more troopers between Albany and NYC, on the Thruway, and around NY State generally. I continue to be amazed at the police presence in the most remote areas of NY. I look forward to and appreciate your thoughts.

Happy Trails

NY&CA said:
Just got a ticket from NYS trooper. Ticket reads: NYS V AND T LAW; section 1142A. This is failure to yield right of way at stop sign.
Background: I have Calif license, and was driving a rental car on a country road. Last month I took Calif traffic school for a CHP issued speeding ticket, and was thus expunged by taking traffic school. I have no other tickets in the last 20 months.
Question: Will the failure to stop ticket, issued in NY result in points against my Calif license?, and will insurance catch it? I don't know what the point count would be in NY, but think it is 2 or 3 points.
I live and fly between NY and CA often, and see far more troopers between Albany and NYC, on the Thruway, and around NY State generally. I continue to be amazed at the police presence in the most remote areas of NY. I look forward to and appreciate your thoughts.
The Drivers License Compact sees to it that the ticket will find it's way on your record in CA.

Whether or not the insurance will catch it right away, no one can say. My daughter got a speeding ticket and the insurance company did not catch it for over a year. It was when I transferred to a different insurance company that they ran all of our licenses to see if anyone had any violations.

NY&CA

Thanks for that answer. Odd thing is if i had NY license a moving violation ticket issued outside NY would not count againist my home state license. How long do the points stay active, and would taking traffic school in Calif remove points as a result of a NY ticket. How would i check to find the points status for my license?
Thank you very much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">