• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help live in Nevada ticketed in Mojave Kern County California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

felipeii

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada . On 11/15/05 @ 3:35 pm. The CHP officer pulled me over and said I was speeding at 102 MPH in a posted 65 MPH limit highway. I told him I was on my way back home from a doctors appointment in San Francisco. He gave me a ticket,I asked him about the fine. he said I would get a courtesy letter from my local jurisdication with the fine amount. After waiting almost a month with out a courtesy letter I called the Kern county court house and was told because the ticket was for over 100 MPH I had to appear in court. I told them I live Nevada. I was told I could request a 30 day extention to appear in court that would make it 02/17/06. I have made this trip back and forth numerous times and have been aware of this area as a speed trap and always take caution on this strech of Highway 58. I usually drive my own vichicle this trip I used a rented car but I am sure I wasnot driving @ 102 MPH. Help what should I do. How can I fight the ticket. How will it affect my Nevada DMV record.

sukharev

There should be plenty of advice coming your way from folks in CA, but from reading the previous posts sounds like the first step for you would be to send a written trial by declaration (TBD), not personal appearance. You can get the form online, just google TBD. If TBD is unsuccessful, then you can get de-novo trial, to which you do have to show up. When that time comes, you can either plead guilty and hope for leniency from the judge (your speed was indeed very high, so the most you will probably get is reduction to lesser speed), or not guilty and fight it. Look up on Nevada DMV site what the out-of-state violation is worth in points.

JETX

felipeii said:
How can I fight the ticket.
You 'fight' the ticket by presenting evidence to the court that you were not guilty of the violation cited.

How will it affect my Nevada DMV record.
California reports traffic violations to all fifty states and Canada. The violation will be posted to your record and treated just as if you received the ticket in your home state.

A few states will not enter minor out of state traffic tickets. The only way to be certain how the California violation will be treated is to contact the DMV in your state.

sukharev

JETX said:
California reports traffic violations to all fifty states and Canada. The violation will be posted to your record and treated just as if you received the ticket in your home state.
Wrong. I just looked it up on Nevada DMV site. "Any conviction will become part of your Nevada driving record. Out-of-state convictions do not generate demerit points." So, worst case scenario: you get the ticket on your record, but instead of 4 points like you would for Nevada ticket, you get nothing.

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlpoints.htm

A different question is how your insurance is treating the tickets. If it is tied up to the points, you are OK, if to the tickets/violations per se, then it's worth trying to either fight it or plea bargain for traffic school (if it's possible for such high speed) in court.

felipeii

Just got the courtesy notice in the mail . Has anyone else faced my situation on the forum ? If so please send your experience in this matter. Thanks again

JETX

sukharev said:
Wrong. I just looked it up on Nevada DMV site. "Any conviction will become part of your Nevada driving record. Out-of-state convictions do not generate demerit points." So, worst case scenario: you get the ticket on your record, but instead of 4 points like you would for Nevada ticket, you get nothing.
So, suckhead, what was WRONG in my post??
Both of our posts said the same thing... except mine didn't say anything about points.
And here is where the information I provided came from:
http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/California-speeding-ticket.html

sukharev

JETX said:
So, suckhead, what was WRONG in my post??
Both of our posts said the same thing... except mine didn't say anything about points.
And here is where the information I provided came from:
http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/California-speeding-ticket.html
Sure, you can suck my head if you want to. Here is where you were wrong: "treated just as if you received the ticket in your home state."

If that were the case, points would be applied. No, they would not. The link you posted has the same incorrect information. California can post tickets to all states, and to the rest of the world, but the rest of the world may not care. Certain states don't care either. Examples are NY, PA, MA, and many others, which don't do anything with out-of-state violations.

JETX

sukharev said:
Here is where you were wrong: "treated just as if you received the ticket in your home state."
What a friggin' idiot you are.... and you flunked English comprehension.
The fact is the VIOLATION is "treated just as if you received the ticket in your home state". The VIOLATION is NOT the points, you nitwit!!

Pugilist

For JETX:

Obviously, both posts are about Kern County, a notorious speed trap.

Your "post" count is phenominal! If you spent even 2 minutes composing each post, that's 1000 hours. If you bill at $200 per hour, that's $200,000. Will you be sending a bill?

Pug

Last edited:

JETX

Pugilist said:
If you bill at $200 per hour, that's $200,000. Will you be sending a bill?
$200 an hour!!! You insult me!!! :eek:

And no.

pro bono
adj. short for pro bono publico, Latin for "for the public good," legal work performed by lawyers without pay to help people with legal problems and limited or no funds, or provide legal assistance to organizations involved in social causes such as environmental, consumer, minority, youth, battered women and education organizations and charities.

I do get one hell of a tax write-off though!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">