• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieving stolen property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deeplysorry

What is the name of your state? CA

I recently posted another thread about my involvement of a grand theft incident which I was involved in and have only been charged with receiving stolen property(Thank God). I know it's still a felony offense do to the value of items and I'm still scared of what the outcome could be. Just wondering what sentences they might fine me with. I have no criminal history and am just wondering of what will happen? Can anyone tell me? I'm really scared of going to jail and would do anything to not go.

seniorjudge

deeplysorry said:

I recently posted another thread about my involvement of a grand theft incident which I was involved in and have only been charged with receiving stolen property(Thank God). I know it's still a felony offense do to the value of items and I'm still scared of what the outcome could be. Just wondering what sentences they might fine me with. I have no criminal history and am just wondering of what will happen? Can anyone tell me? I'm really scared of going to jail and would do anything to not go.
Give us the statute number(s) you were charged with.

They are on those papers on the kitchen table, next to the sugar.

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
Give us the statute number(s) you were charged with.

They are on those papers on the kitchen table, next to the sugar.
It's probably PC 496(a) - possession/receiving stolen property.

- Carl

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
Were those papers next to the sugar?
Not in my house, they weren't. I have coffee, Nestle's Quik, and my kindergartener's "homework" next to the sugar, but not the OP's charging paperwork. ;)

- Carl

tardo

larceny

You guys are terrible. They probably bought a HOT pocket book off some girlfriend and are terrified - give the kid some relief!!

deeplysorry

Can someone please give me any advice. To give you more info on the whole incident, this is from what I wrote in my previous thread.

I currently am wondering what charges I am most likely what I'm going to be charged for.

The whole incident had occured as such. My friend/ ex co-worker and his friend had been arrested last thursday and were investigated for i'm assumming grand theft charges. The whole incident was that at my previous job about a month ago, myself and my co-worker were joking about staging a burglary in the cell phone shop we worked at, a week before the happening. On the day of the happening I had told myself I could not go through with it and told him I wouldn't, but my co-worker still did. He went on with the plans we had discussed where to take out the inventory before the store and have someone come later and break the front window to look like a break in. Later on, about two to three weeks, he had contacted me becuase he needed help selling the phones. I being an idot helped him becuase I knew someone, so than I brought the items to the buyer and later then gave back the items not wanted and the money for the items without taking any money, to my former co-worker.

I had went to the detective doing the investigation and pretty much told him everything described here. he had not arrested me and not charged me with anything, and told me that I should be getting a letter in the mail for an arraignment. I know I made an unforgivable mistake, and have been wanting to do whatever right things can be done now. I know I have messed my life up for ever, and I haven't been able to eat, sleep or pretty much do anything. I'm 22 years old, and have never had a record or anything. I'm plain scared of what's going to happen to me. I'm basically wondering what you guys think will happen with charges and everything. I just want to thank you all for taking your time to read this.

Now, I know i'm very lucky to be only charged with recieving stolen property, however I'm really terrified of what will happen.

CdwJava

Your sentence can range from nothing to prison. No one can say what the outcome will be.

Speak to an attorney.

- Carl

Donny H

The DA may very well ask you to be a witness against the burglars, and going this route may keep you out of jail.

What county is this?

Donny H

Alameda County? Uh oh.

Some county jails are worse than others. I have never been to Alameda, but I hear it's one of the worst in the state, along with L.A., San Bernadino, and Fresnos.

Cut a deal. You admitted to everything, I imagine you could avoid jail. Talk to the D.A., and do not lie to them or disrespect them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">