• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my car in his name-can I be arrested for taking it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat217

I made down payment on my car, made all the payments myself. vehicle is in his name only, first mistake. I left not 1 week ago, with my car only, and he is threating to have me arrested for stealing the car. It was purchased after we were married. We have 5 other vehicles, all in his name, and own 2 houses with property. (2 vehicles purchased after marriage, 1 house purchased after) My question is, can he actually have me arrested for taking my own car? I need help on this as soon as possible, afraid to go anywhere in it, but need to be at work today..Somebody HELP ME.thanks, cat I live in North Carolina

[Edited by cat217 on 12-01-2000 at 01:00 PM]

LegalBeagle

cat217 said:
I made down payment on my car, made all the payments myself. vehicle is in his name only, first mistake. I left not 1 week ago, with my car only, and he is threating to have me arrested for stealing the car. It was purchased after we were married. We have 5 other vehicles, all in his name, and own 2 houses with property. (2 vehicles purchased after marriage, 1 house purchased after) My question is, can he actually have me arrested for taking my own car? I need help on this as soon as possible, afraid to go anywhere in it, but need to be at work today..Somebody HELP ME.thanks, cat I live in North Carolina

[Edited by cat217 on 12-01-2000 at 01:00 PM]
You have so much property that you need an attorney to sort out the divorce. Today is as good a day as any. Call around several and find yourself an attorney.

U

ursula

Cat, When my husband actually did steal my car (even though he had 2 of his own) the police said that they couldnt do anything about it because we were married and it is considerd community property. I live in Indiana. I would call your local police and see what applies there and i would get the egnition key changed. At least let them know that the car is not stolen and that you have it.

A

AZ944

You can get all your freinds together and take all the cars, (if you have the keys ) go back and take all his stuff and have a party.
Thats what my wife did to me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">