• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless 80 in a 55 help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samhain839

What is the name of your state?virginia
i was clocked going 80 in a 55 in suffolk va ..i got my car calabraited and its 5 off in my favor should i get a lawyer or should i fight myself!!

Last edited:

sukharev

What does it say on your ticket? If it says radar, it is. Then, your speedometer error is not relevant, you were speeding. However, telling the story to the judge may help lower the charges below automatic reckless level. No guarantees, will depend on the prosecutor and judge. There are a lot of posts on this forum about similar cases.

If you want to fight the ticket, then request discovery of relevant information (radar and tuning forks calibration, maintenance and test record before and after the stop, training record, etc.). Google discovery and how to use it. Ask questions if unsure. Good luck.

lwpat

Virginia Speeding Ticket

Virginia is one of the few states that will consider a speedometer error. I would do the five voluntary online points and take a certified copy of your record (assuming it is clean) and the certified calibration to court. Talk to the ADA and try for a reduction or traffic school and the ticket not be reported on your record. Here is a link for more info
Virginia Speeding Ticket

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">