• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Obey Traffic Officer in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gfrye

What is the name of your state? I live in NC and this is my first offense ever. I was charged with failure to obey a traffice officer directing traffic. The power was out at a four way intersection and I was on the main thoroughfair trying to turn left onto a side street. No traffic was coming in the opposite direction and the car in front of me turned left so I proceeded to the left turn lead position and stopped, then proceeded to turn left as well. The officer yelled at me to which I stopped immediately. I sat there somewhat in the middle of the intersection for approximately 2 minutes while cars around me were allowed to go. I watched the officer this whole time and he not once gave me any type of glance or signal so I assumed all was okay and I again proceeded to turn when no cars were coming. This time the officer jumped in front of my car and yelled at the top of his lungs. Subsequently I was given a citation. I am curious to see what the normal penalty is as I understand I automatically have to attend court. Can his be reduced to a lesser charge and also is this a hard offense to contest?

Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">