• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Xterra in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redraider0206

I bought a used Xterra in Texas back in August. When i test drove it, it drove fine but had a squeeking noise coming from the engine, when the A/C was running. The guy i bought it from told me the belt needed tightning but hadn't had time to get it done. We had it inspected at Pep-Boys who also said it needed tightened. So I got it tightened and drove out to school. Soon the noise started again so I went down to Firestone who said the belt was tightened as much as it could be and checked it out. Apparently, the compressor was locking up causing the belt to rub and make the noise. They told me to turn off my A/C when it started or pay almost 1,000 to get it fixed. I don't have that lying around and neither do my parents. Is there anything I can do to get this fixed? The car is a 2002 and the compressor should not already be going out.

dallas702

While the compressor probably should have lasted longer (you didn't give us the car's mileage, and it IS Texas), unless you have a warranty specifying the a/c system is covered you are on your own. You can check the manufacturer's Technical Service Bulletins (can be done online) to see if there is a history of problems with that particular compressor. If so, you "might" have a claim through the dealership.

However...there's always a "but"....the tightening of the belt may very well have caused the compressor bearings to fail. That's why most new cars have serpentine belts with automatic tensioners...to keep the proper tension on the belt and all the bearings that the belt turns.

If you bought it from a private seller you have no case against him.

The good news is you can get a rebuilt compressor from an aftermarket store, replace it, flush and evacuate the system and change the drier and filter(s), then recharge with R134 for far less than $1000. Probably closer to $400 if you do all the work. Get some beer and some buddies to help you.

redraider0206

There is a whopping 61,000 miles on the car....and the car was in east texas, where there is nothing that will really mess up the compressor, no dust or anything. There was noise before we got the belt tightened, so tightening the belt couldn't have bearings to fail. True on getting some buddies to fix the part, if I knew some people that were good with cars...guess I'll have to start looking...im sure I could find someone in a school of 30,000.

dallas702

61K is pretty low, even if most of those were with the a/c on (some cars keep the compressor running on almost every setting). The previous owner may have overtightened the belt and worn the bearings out. Just be thankful it didn't cook it and leave you stranded out on the hiway.

Check the comp to see if it is the original. Maybe it's been replaced (if someone is ignorant enough to overtighten a belt once, he may have done it before this one) and the comp has a warranty. If it's a rebuilt there will be a sticker on it.

It's not an impossible job but you'll need a few special tools to get the hose connections apart, and of course some guages to do the recharge. You can rent the stuff to do the flush (necessary if there are any metal shavings from the comp in the system, most of which will be trapped in the line filter) and the vaccum pump to pull all the air and moisture out of the system before recharging it. Most of it is nut and bolt stuff. Any decent auto shop can charge the system for you if you tell them it only needs that, but some want the whole ($1000) job or none at all.

Get a Haynes or Chilton manual (you'll want one anyway) for basic instruction. Actually, because it's a/c, and the environmentalists have sane people scared to death a molecule of freon will escape to the atmosphere, you might need a factory manual to get enough info. You can get most of the specs and pics online or at your library.

Zephyr

redraider0206 said:
There is a whopping 61,000 miles on the car....and the car was in east texas, where there is nothing that will really mess up the compressor, no dust or anything. There was noise before we got the belt tightened, so tightening the belt couldn't have bearings to fail. True on getting some buddies to fix the part, if I knew some people that were good with cars...guess I'll have to start looking...im sure I could find someone in a school of 30,000.
one thing I will add here, not to influence you in any direction, but just so you have all info....when you get it done at a shop you have the protection of their warranty, if you have "joe bob's cousin" fix it and he installs something incorrectly, you are out the money you just spent on those parts AND likely on the way into the shop anyway. If they really know what they are doing, ok. But make sure they know and make sure you trust them.

I'm in this industry- and boy oh boy, I can't tell you how many times we have fixed the at home fixes- if I could only charge a stupid customer surcharge :rolleyes:

is there a mouse under the hood?

Dallas: is "joe-bob" a popular name in Texas?

The "squeeeeeeeeek" thing reminded me of the dozens of times I'd be showing a car to a prospective client, only to have it emit the most horrible, shrill tone when started. Even though it was most likely a belt in need of replacement it SOUNDED like the engine was about to explode.

A mechanic showed me a "quick fix" (meant only to temporarlly cure the symptom): a couple of squirts of WD 40 right on the belt. Worked every time.

Obviously, what we had here was different (locked up compressor vs slipping belt). Hey Dallas, were/are you a mechanic? You sure sound like one...

dallas702

There's no doubt doing a weekend repair project (moreso with a/c) with "non-professionals" has it's risks. There is plenty of helpful literature and product instruction available to keep from making major mistakes, but hopefully someone on the "team" would have some experience. If you're not confident about DIY, take it to the shop and pay the price.

As to "professionals", I took my son's '71 MGB GT to my favorite shop on Monday for carb adjustment, smog cert, fluid changes and a few other things that we just didn't have time to do. As of today the car still sits because one of the professionals tried to start the car with the door key, resulting in a jammed ignition/steering lock. Even professionals can screw things up beyond belief.

CJ;

Way back when I got stupid and dropped out of engineering school I thought I'd try my real love and learn auto mechanics (much to my parent's total dismay). I went to work for Standard Oil, but got quickly hustled into management (dang education). I did keep tinkering around and using all the basic work they had put me through school for, though. I just expanded on that through the years, bought into a restoration shop in the mid '80s (that's an education for sure), then continued as a "hobbyist" by dismantling and rebuilding my various classic projects. I also hated the hassle (and expense) of auto shops so I did almost all of my own work plus a lot for friends/family. I still do some, but arthritis, near blindness in one eye, and a couple of shoulder operations has forced me to rely on a local shop and my sons when they are available. Usually, the shop is great. Right now I'm wondering what they were thinking. I can't complain. 40 years of working on cars, lots of nice rides, lots of $$ saved, and I actually have clean nails. But, unlike some of my Foxnews lawyer friends, I don't have that long, gray, shaggy rebel lawyer hair. Just gray. ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">