• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

embezzlement and more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tblake

Hello - I am an author researching a few questions for my current book. I'm rather ignorant of criminal law in general, and am hoping to find the answers I need here.

The situation is as follows:

An employee at a large construction company located in Florida discovers proof that one of the company higher-ups is embezzling profits. If this employee knows the local DA and calls him to report this, what would happen at this point? Would it be as simple as the DA having cops come and arrest the guy, then proceed with a court case, or would it be more complicated? (Also, bear in mind, this is merely a subplot in the book - I don't need detailed information, just a general rundown of what would take place.)

Also, if the embezzler also happens to own stock in the company, and if he is found guilty, what would happen to that stock? Would he still retain it, or would there be some way for the other stockholders to get it back, buy him out, etc.?

I'm not totally sure I'm posting this under the right category, but will appreciate any help given!

Many thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">