• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Order Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ember

I'm in Texas. In my divorce decree of 12/99 there is a court order for my ex-husband to pay approx $4000.00 on my credit card. He has not paid anything yet and refuses to do so. I have repaid credit card company but I need the money from him. He does pay the $125.00 child support. What can I do to attempt to get the money. I do not have money to pay an attorney. Please help. Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ember said:
I'm in Texas. In my divorce decree of 12/99 there is a court order for my ex-husband to pay approx $4000.00 on my credit card. He has not paid anything yet and refuses to do so. I have repaid credit card company but I need the money from him. He does pay the $125.00 child support. What can I do to attempt to get the money. I do not have money to pay an attorney. Please help. Thanks!
My response:

Sue him in Small Claims court. Bring your decree with you, and your proof of payments to the Credit Card company, along with the Credit Card statements.

If you win, that only means that you've reduced the Order to a judgment. He may still decide not to pay you. Your next problem would be to collect. I would suggest that you go to your bookstore and buy a How To book on collecting Small Claims court judgments.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">