• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving without lights in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bean458

What is the name of your state? California

I was given a ticket in Downtown San Diego for driving without my headlights on at night. I had just bought my new car a couple of weeks before that and I did not know that the inside panel (where the speedometer is) is always lit (day or night)... With my older car, the inside panel was off until you turn the lights on. In a few words, I had no idea I was driving without my headlights because I was in a very well lit area (the gaslamp district in SD) and my inside panel was lit.

I am guilty because I was indeed driving without lights... but I had no intention of doing that! The inside of the car looked like if my lights were on... do I have a case for pleading not guilty??? I have heard that to be guilty there must be proof that the violation was done because one was careless or was done on purpose. I personally don't think I was careless nor I was doing it on purpose. What do you think???

Thank you.

HomeGuru

bean458 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was given a ticket in Downtown San Diego for driving without my headlights on at night. I had just bought my new car a couple of weeks before that and I did not know that the inside panel (where the speedometer is) is always lit (day or night)... With my older car, the inside panel was off until you turn the lights on. In a few words, I had no idea I was driving without my headlights because I was in a very well lit area (the gaslamp district in SD) and my inside panel was lit.

I am guilty because I was indeed driving without lights... but I had no intention of doing that! The inside of the car looked like if my lights were on... do I have a case for pleading not guilty??? I have heard that to be guilty there must be proof that the violation was done because one was careless or was done on purpose. I personally don't think I was careless nor I was doing it on purpose. What do you think???

Thank you.

**A: so what about the inside lights. Your story is not going to fly. Did you not see any headlight trails coming from your vehicle illuminating the road in front of you? If you had a flashlight and turned it on in front of you, you would know if the light beam was on or off.
The law does not allow Ninja cars ok.

bean458

HomeGuru said:
**A: so what about the inside lights. Your story is not going to fly. Did you not see any headlight trails coming from your vehicle illuminating the road in front of you? If you had a flashlight and turned it on in front of you, you would know if the light beam was on or off.
The law does not allow Ninja cars ok.
LOL... no, I don't have a Ninja car... what I am saying is that it was pretty well lit outside. I am guilty for conditioning myself to turn the lights on only when the panel is off. But I don't think I was careless, or maybe in your eyes I was...

anyways... if I am found guilty, can I ask to go to traffic school?? or is it too late?

CdwJava

CVC 24400 should be zero points on your license, so taking traffic school for it is probably a waste of time ... IF it is permitted.

- Carl

CdwJava

poohmantbb said:
Also, I don't think careless is any part of the statute. I wouldn't plead guilty.... try what the thers said to do.
That's correct. It is simply that they are or are NOT on. And intent is not an element either since all traffic offenses are general intent crimes.

He might gain a sympathetic ear from a judge with his story, but that might simply mean the difference between a maximum and a minimum fine - as opposed to a conviction or not.

CVC 24400(a) During darkness and inclement weather, a motor vehicle,
other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted
headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the
vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1,
1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front
axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any
headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches
nor less than 22 inches.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">