• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband driving on suspended license - q's - please read

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arachne8You

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm really not quite sure what to do right now - perhaps someone can possibly suggest something.

My husband's license was suspended in 2004 after he was a brainiac and thought he could evade a NC speeding ticket. He wasn't aware of the suspension (nor was I) at the time, and was caught driving on a suspended license - got a 1 year suspension and a fine. He paid his fine to PA, but we have not been able to pay the NC fine as of yet. on Nov of 2005, he was to get his license back, provided he'd pay his NC fine and pay a restoration fee. We were going to pay it this month since we couldn't afford it last month, but meanwhile, as luck has it, he got pulled over twice - once because his tag on his car had issues (a state officer was bored - followed him and ran his tag - came up dead - was a PennDOT error, but too late for him) and about 10 days later because again, he wasn't very smart, and drove a bit faster than he should've. The extent of his driving is back and forth to work, and once to help me out because I was too ill to drive. I've been sick for the past several days and have not been able to drive him back and forth to work, so he's been doing it on his own.

He has now two pending citations for driving on a suspended license (plus he's on probation) so he is facing issues with his PO, but more importantly, he is facing some major issues, like a possible 18 months in jail, i believe? He is going to plead not guilty, and hope for the best, as I was honestly too ill to handle driving him, and with the weather right now (ice, etc) he is a bit reluctant to walk several miles to work, etc. I know the obvious here - don't drive, but right now he's looking at some major issues. Can anyone advise as to what exactly were are looking at? I guess this would technically be considered his 3rd, even though he wasn't even aware on his first offense. (we never received paperwork - we moved at the same time they mailed paperwork, I believe, and for whatever reason, the forwarding did not work right for us) Any suggestions on what can be done to more importantly avoid jailtime? I don't think there is avoiding a prolonged suspension, but this was out of our hands. He wasn't joyriding - he was going to work, and I was just too ill to take him. Any advice is hugely appreciated. At the time he was originally suspended, he couldn't even petition for his bread and butter work license because of the outstanding fines, and what made it worse was NC was not willing to work with him - he was to pay it in full - no payment arrangements accepted. If we could have done payments, we'd have been fine, but I could not afford to come up with the amount of his fine in full. Please help.

Arachne8You

I'm not quite sure how we will pull this off, but I will find a way.

Once they are paid, do you have a recommendation as to how we approach the case with these tickets? At this point, my main concern is keeping him out of jail. If we can do something to reduce the term of suspension that I imagine he will get yet again for this, that'd be great, too, but mainly, I don't want to see him in jail. We're looking into a lawyer, but honestly, I don't believev we'll be able to afford one, so we will most likely get a public defender. Thanks again for your reply.

justalayman

The best advice anyone will ever give your husband and I guarantee this will never happen again.

DON'T DRIVE WITHOUT A VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE.

The point of having your license suspended is YOU DON'T DRIVE.
There are many other people in the same situation and guess what..they don't drive because it is illegal to do so. Maybe if had walked those several miles he would have realized how valuable the privilage to drive is and straighten up his act. And now you still don't want the penalties. That is the point of the penalties...so you don't do it again.

Since he is a habitual offender why should he worry about ever getting a license. It obviously didn't matter up to this point

justalayman said:
The best advice anyone will ever give your husband and I guarantee this will never happen again.

There are many other people in the same situation and guess what..they don't drive because it is illegal to do so. Maybe if had walked those several miles he would have realized how valuable the privilage to drive is and straighten up his act. And now you still don't want the penalties. That is the point of the penalties...so you don't do it again.

Since he is a habitual offender why should he worry about ever getting a license. It obviously didn't matter up to this point
Please, do not post common sense here. This site is for the purposes of searching for ways to shed responsibilty for your actions; and to piss and moan about the police and how they make victims out of people everyday.
;)

sukharev

Curt581 said:
There is one thing that would really help him, even more than hiring a lawyer or getting a public defender.

That is getting his license back BEFORE the court dates on his pending cases.

I don't care if you have to go without eating for a few days, take the bus to work, borrow the money, fail to pay the electric bill for a few weeks, whatever.

Pay the N.C. fine NOW.

Get his license reinstated. If he does, there is a fair chance the two pending cases can be greatly reduced or even dismissed.

If necessary, he can plead not guilty at the first court appearance, and have the next court date pushed back a few weeks. That might buy him some extra time. However, no guarantees what the outcome will be if he does this. He may not get as good an offer at the next court date.
I fully agree, get the fine paid in full now, borrow from friends and family, whatever it takes... Also, if your license was suspended in NC, make sure the suspension is lifted (call the NC court to find out how). Then, try to negotiate with DA, and you can tell them your story, but don't expect any sympathy. What you may want to omit is part about bored police officer. Good luck.

Arachne8You

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalayman

Thank you so very much for stating the obvious. Isn't this site called freeadvice.com? Last I checked it wasn't scoldtheidiot.com.. If you do not have anything constructive to add, kindly stay out of it. Thank you.

justalayman

Arachne8You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalayman

Thank you so very much for stating the obvious. Isn't this site called freeadvice.com? Last I checked it wasn't scoldtheidiot.com.. If you do not have anything constructive to add, kindly stay out of it. Thank you.

That is constructive advice. It is how to stay out of jail in the future. BTW give me your address so I can send you the refund.

Here is some more advice. Get a nice snuggly blanket, some hot cocoa and a good book 'cuz your probably gonna be without your hubby at least a few nights. OH and don't forget the big stick to whack your hubby with so he doesn't do this again.

Arachne8You

Curt,

Thank you so much for your response - I really appreciate it. I will be borrowing some money to pay off the fine as of tomorrow, and at this point, pray for the best. In your best opinion, do you feel that we are taking the correct approach by pleading not guilty? It's my understanding that at this point, that will be his fighting chance. The second time he got pulled over, I could not take him to work - I was diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis, and honestly, I'm worthless right now - I can barely breathe - just starting to get better. I was going to bring my dr's documentations with me, along with the hospitalization papers to his hearing in hopes they wouuld grant some type of leniency for the situation. As for the other ticket he got just a few days prior to that one, same story, basically - I've been sick for almost 2 weeks now, barely making it into work as is, and missing a few days as well here and there.

Any suggestions on this approach would be grateful - thank you for all of your words of wisdom so far - it's hugely appreciated during this time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">