• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

polygraph: really confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bizzymom

I am a mother of 3. My youngest is 8 weeks old. I have never been in any sort of criminal investigation or situation.I'm married, very active in church, and community.I was woken up one night by a shocking phone call. It was the teenage daughter of my "friends". Or someone I thought was my friend. I had gone to their house earlier that morning. They were moving to Ohio the following day.I live in South Carolina. She had asked me to come by and show her my baby before she moved away. Well later that night the phone call I received was accusing me of stealing a ring from her mother (she said approx. $1,000 value). I had no idea what she was speaking of. She told me her mom did not want to speak to me about it! The next day my "friend" called my husband at work to accuse me again! Well they moved away and I thought this was a false accusation and she must have found her ring bbecause about 2 weeks went by with no more calls. Yesterday the police dept. called me. They told me that they filed a report stating they thought i took this item. The PD asked me if I would volunteer to take a polygraph. The problem with this is I hear that 50% come out false/positives. I am very hurt and emotional about the situation. Also I grew up in a middle class family but my mother was a prescription drug addict. There was exposure to alot of drugs, lies, theft, etc. I'm afraid perhaps that will resurface in my mind. Creating nervousness, etc.
I don't know if I should take the test or not. I don't know what to do legally, if anything???? I really hope someone can help with advice. Also keep in mind....They were moving(there were boxes and stuff everywhere, The teenage daughter( who has been known to use cocain and drugs) had her friend over later that day also. Although she said they never entered the home. Who knows? I just don't know how far they can go legally with this....Thanks ahead of time!

D

Darlene

I had to take a polygraph test for my job. I am a Juvenile Detention Officer. I was extremely nervous because of some of the things I did in my past. The man who conducted the polygraph, (I thought) was trying to make me even more nervous than I already was because he kept telling me that I can't lie to myself and if I try than the polygraph will pick this up. I passed with flying colors. The man asked me a few questions after I was all unhooked and I answered them truthfully, he told me that he didn't think that I was trying to be manipulative in any way and that I did good. I feel that you should take the test to clear your name. Just relax the best you can, the machine WILL no the difference. The person conducting the polygraph will probably ask you a question that you have absolutely no reason to lie about like "is your name "this"? and you will answer yes. This is to ensure the machine is working properly. I am not an attorney so this is just friendly advice. I needed my job and I passed with flying colors. You need to clear your name and I think you will do just fine.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Polygraph tests:

Here is an article for you to read:

Lie Detector Tests: Truth and Consequences
Email this to a friend
Learn how polygraph tests work, as well as what supporters and detractors have to say about them.
The theory underlying a lie detector test -- or a polygraph test, in more scientific terms -- is that lying is stressful, and that this stress can be measured and recorded on a polygraph machine. Lie detectors are called polygraphs because the test consists of simultaneously monitoring several of the suspect's physiological functions -- breathing, pulse and galvanic skin response -- and printing out the results on graph paper. This printout shows exactly when, during the questioning period, the biologic responses occurred. If the period of greatest biologic reaction lines up with the key questions on the graph paper -- the questions that would implicate the person as being involved with the crime -- stress is presumed. And along with this presumption of stress comes a second presumption -- that the stress indicates a lie.
Supporters of lie detector tests claim that the test is reliable because:

very few people can control all three physiological functions at the same time, and

polygraph examiners run preexamination tests on the suspect that enable the examiners to measure that individual's reaction to telling a lie. See Justice by Machine: Living with Lie Detector Tests.

On the other hand, critics of polygraph testing argue that:

many subjects can indeed conceal stress even when they are aware that they are lying, and

there is no reliable way to distinguish an individual's stress generated by the test and the stress generated by a particular lie.

The courts in most jurisdictions doubt the reliability of lie detector tests and refuse to admit the results into evidence. Some states do admit the results of polygraph tests at trial if the prosecution and defendant agree prior to the test that its results will be admissible.

B

bizzymom

RE Lawrat

Thank you for the article. I am not looking for an attorney on this site. I just thought someone with a little more experience with the law could offer some advice. So would you personally--given the cicumstances in my post--take the lie detector? Can they give false/positives? Also I kind of feel like I shouldn't have to PROVE my innocence!! Although I would like to clear this mess up. They are asking me to volunteer to do this. There is no evidence against me. The lady is only accusing. The PD said "Most people who don't take the test, we assume they are guilty".

L

lawrat

They can't use your refusal to take the test as an indication of your guilt. You SHOULD refuse to take it.

B

bizzymom

POLYGRAPH

Well it's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard back from law enforcement or accuser. Perhaps she found her jewelery after un packing? Who knows, but I hope it's over. Thanks for all of the advice!!!!!!Bizzymom

Qtip

In my opinion you don't have to do squat and you shouldn't be scared. Your accuser should be scared for making a false accusation (unless she can prove her allegation in a court of law). I don't know much about polygraphs but I've heard you can get different results depending on who is giving it.

mommyof4

In my opinion you don't have to do squat and you shouldn't be scared. Your accuser should be scared for making a false accusation (unless she can prove her allegation in a court of law). I don't know much about polygraphs but I've heard you can get different results depending on who is giving it.
That's great and all:rolleyes: but EIGHT YEARS LATER I don't think she really cares.

Don't necropost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">