• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied unemployment insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cessnat37

:cool: What is the name of your state?

I live in Arizona.

I have a telephone hearing scheduled to appeal the disqualification of my unemployment insurance. On my weekly telephone unemployment claim, I reported that I left a temp agency assignment after 30 minutes. I was denied unemployment assistance because of this. The assignment might have involved heavy work and I have a problem with my left knee. In addition, the agency did not accurately describe the job description.

I actually abandoned two temp assignments that same reporting week. But I only reported one of them on both the weekly automated phone claim, and the phone conversation I had with an unemployment office representative. I left the other assignment because I was switched to another job title the morning I walked in. Again, the agency was not completely truthful about the job description. After two days I found the job mentioned in first paragaph ( which did not work out either) and did not return.

The hearing judge may ask me why I did not report the other assignment. I don't know how to answer this. By following through with the telephone hearing will I open myself up to prosecution or be penalized for not reporting the other abandoned assignment?

I have not received a dime of unemployment funds yet. I was also paid a month later on the two day assignment after I filed a wage claim with labor department.

I am working now.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This has nothing whatsoever to do with disability or long term care insurance and should have been posted on one of the employment law forums. However, since we're both here...

You will not be prosecuted since job abandonment is not a prosecutable offense. However, it is entirely likely that you will be denied unemployment benefits, since job abandonment is a disqualifier in ever state I've ever heard of. If you'd reported the problems and attempted to work them out, you might have had a claim. Walking off the job, more than once, is going to disqualify you with about 99.9999% certainty.

All you can do is tell the truth and pray, really, really hard, that your adjudicator is in a REALLY good mood and your employer not inclined to contest further.

cessnat37

thanks for response CHG

I actually posted my inquiry under employment labor law/wages. I also posted it under "Other and administrative law" because the appeal is handled by and administrative judge.

Anyway, thanks for responding to my inquiry. I will most likely cancel the appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">