• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options for a soon-to-be suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suspended_in_VA

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My license in VA is soon to be suspendend for accruing 18 points within 12 months (yes, I have a lead foot .. but I'm better now).

Here are the facts surrounding my situation:

• I need to get to work early in the morning (before public transportation starts running).
  • I have a valid license from PA as well
  • I live in VA, but my home of record is in PA

Can I

• Drive in VA after the suspension using my PA drivers license?
  • Get some sort of 'restricted' license that allows me to drive to and from work?
  • Or any other option that might help me out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

seniorjudge

Suspended_in_VA said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My license in VA is soon to be suspendend for accruing 18 points within 12 months (yes, I have a lead foot .. but I'm better now).

Here are the facts surrounding my situation:

• I need to get to work early in the morning (before public transportation starts running).
  • I have a valid license from PA as well
  • I live in VA, but my home of record is in PA

Can I

• Drive in VA after the suspension using my PA drivers license?
  • Get some sort of 'restricted' license that allows me to drive to and from work?
  • Or any other option that might help me out.

Thanks in advance for any help.
How is it that you have an operator's license in two different states?

JETX

Suspended_in_VA said:
I need to get to work early in the morning (before public transportation starts running).
Should of thought of that BEFORE you decided to violate the law.

I have a valid license from PA as well
With any luck, you won't for long.

Drive in VA after the suspension using my PA drivers license?[/qutoe]
You can drive if you have a valid license.

Get some sort of 'restricted' license that allows me to drive to and from work?
Depends on what 'state' you want to use.

Or any other option that might help me out.
Friends, family, cabs, Reboks.

sukharev

I think you are confusing license with driving privilege. You can only have 1 license, but drive anywhere in US (until your privilege in any particular state is suspended or revoked).

If you somehow managed to get a second license in VA, you are violating the law and have more troubles than you think. However, I don't think you did this, instead you probably saved your old PA license (with expiration date in future), but obtained VA license when you transferred. Or, you never had VA license to start with, and used your PA license all along. In that case, you have been escaping points in PA since PA does not assess points for out-of-state violations. Your streak of luck is about to run out, because in case of license suspension PA will be notified and suspend your license accordingly.

So, bottom line: try to get some points off somehow (traffic school, whatever), to avoid suspension. If you do get suspended in VA, you have a few month and then you loose your license in PA. However, you CANNOT drive in VA as soon as your license is suspended. Try not to make a dumb mistake again, and find a way to get around without driving.

justalayman

sukharev said:
I think you are confusing license with driving privilege. You can only have 1 license, but drive anywhere in US (until your privilege in any particular state is suspended or revoked).

If you somehow managed to get a second license in VA, you are violating the law and have more troubles than you think. However, I don't think you did this, instead you probably saved your old PA license (with expiration date in future), but obtained VA license when you transferred. Or, you never had VA license to start with, and used your PA license all along. In that case, you have been escaping points in PA since PA does not assess points for out-of-state violations. Your streak of luck is about to run out, because in case of license suspension PA will be notified and suspend your license accordingly.

So, bottom line: try to get some points off somehow (traffic school, whatever), to avoid suspension. If you do get suspended in VA, you have a few month and then you loose your license in PA. However, you CANNOT drive in VA as soon as your license is suspended. Try not to make a dumb mistake again, and find a way to get around without driving.
Not sure Suk....it sounds like he actually has two licenses. Obviously if so, one of them is NOT a valid license but alot of people seem to think this way. :eek:

sukharev

justalayman said:
Not sure Suk....it sounds like he actually has two licenses. Obviously if so, one of them is NOT a valid license but alot of people seem to think this way. :eek:
Yep, I did say "saved" - translation - did not turn in as required by law

It may have old PA address, future expiration date, and still be invalid, if you have obtained new license in another state. On top of that, you are required to maintain license in your residency state, not the one you'd like to be "on record". Typically you have 30 days to switch over.

Suspended_in_VA said:
Drive in VA after the suspension using my PA drivers license?
Yeah... if you want an expensive ticket or jail time.

Suspended_in_VA said:
Get some sort of 'restricted' license that allows me to drive to and from work?
Maybe. Ask the judge, but I venture to guess he will tell you to "dream on, lead foot".

Suspended_in_VA said:
Or any other option that might help me out.
Walk, run, skip, or ride a bike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">