• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yotaman

I am from Louisiana. I operate and manage a business with my two brothers in the following of my father. I have a great deal of responsibility to deal with at my age of 21. I was explaining this in detail to a girl that I had met at a bowling alley. After hearing my current situation, she said she knew someone who had valiums that may calm my nerves in stressful situations. So I said sure and she gave me a few to try. Seven as a matter of fact. Well shortly after I left with two of my friends to head home around 11:30p.m. He lived nearby an area that was considered a drug zone, and there is a road that is a shortcut to our destination that passes through that area. He had been drinking moderately that night. On that road was one red light, he ran through it and was pulled over. Upon being pulled over, two officers exited the vehicle. One of the officers asked the driver if he had been drinking. In reply he said, "Earlier, I had a few", on that the officer asked if he would take a field sobriety test. He said no, so the officer asked him to turn around. He did upon request, the officer then placed him under arrest for DUI. In the meantime four other police cars pulled up. Total count so far, six officers, five cop cars. The girl and I were sitting in the open top jeep with no doors, not saying a word, while the driver was going through his situation two officers approached us and asked for our ID's, we cooperated and they checked us out and then returned our ID's. We stayed in our seats and again didn't say a word, waiting for the officers instructions. The officers then sort or came to a huddle at the back of the jeep and in front of the police car. A short while later an officer approached the girl and I sitting in the jeep. First words out of the officer's mouth was, "Yall start walking.". First of all, we were in a bad section of town, second it was kind of rude that they didn't offer to call anyone for us or anything similar. We lived less than 2 miles from where we were at. On that, the girl got scared and mad and said, "What are you talking about man, this is crackville, you want us to walk from here!". I didn't say a word expecting to here something different after she said that. Well, the officer came back and then said, "Look, yall just start walking.". On that response, I got angry, they weren't doing their job. I got out of the jeep walked up to the officers and said, "Man, your gonna make us walk from here, why can't you let me drive the jeep home or something?", the officer, "The jeep is getting towed.", I said, "Well can't you call someone for us or something?", the officers kinda just stared, I said, "Come on, my brother lives right down the road, why can't you call him or something?", finally a officer across the street said, "Well what's the number!!?", as angry as he said it, I said it back, "873-7997!!". Then an officer said, "Alright, get in the jeep.". At this point I was aggravated, I was standing at the entrance of the jeep with my left hand placed on the rollbar and my right hand on the windshield frame, I said speaking to the officer who told us to walk, "You know something, I pay taxes like everyone else, how come it takes five cop cars and six officers on one situation?", the cop replied by saying, "You’re an idiot, you know that, just get in the damn jeep.". So I got into the jeep ticked off more than ever by the way they were treating us and told the girl sitting right next to me, "One day I am going to have all their jobs.". When I said that, the woman cop said, "That was a threat!", I turned around to see who said that and four officers rushed around and pulled me out of the jeep and slammed me over the hood of the jeep. Later they searched my pockets and found 7 valiums on me which I could use in the first place. Now, I am being charged with a felony for possession of a controlled substance schedule 4 as well as disturbing the peace by loud and abusive language. I went to court and they straight offered me PTI for a year as well as TADAC, random drug screens, and write a letter of apology to the officers who were there. I completely do not feel this is fair and to top it off I went see my doctor and he supplied me with a script of xanex for my anxiety like I was saying earlier. So is there a way for me to get completely off this situation? Please help!

[Edited by yotaman on 12-02-2000 at 04:50 PM]

ALawyer

You MUST speak to a lawyer. AND EDIT YOUR POST TO HIDE YOUR NAME! DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MORE EVIDENCE!

This was NOT a false arrest. You were abusive and could be seen as obstructing justice and threatening them. it also was STUPID BEYOND ALL BELIEF, even if you had not hade the pills on you (without a prescription).

I do not know if what they offered was fair or not, but somehow your story does not sound right to me. And if it does not sound right to me on paper, it would sound less right to a prosecutor or a judge or a jury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">