• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changed ticket after Stating Legal Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HotelieKate

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I’m driving down Route 9 and I’m following a green truck with NJ plates. I’m the appropriate distance behind him, not tailgating him and therefore have to have been going approximately the same speed.

A cop passes us going the other direction and I notice in my rearview mirror that he turned around. Meanwhile, the man in front of me, had not touched his brakes (according to his brake lights) at all. The cop puts on his lights and both me and the guy in front of me pull off to the right. The cop approaches my car and asks me if I’m with the truck in front of me. I say no, and the cop waves the truck on.

The cop says that he clocked the guy in front of me at 66 MPH and me at 71 MPH. I said I didn’t understand but he said the guy must have seen the cop and slowed down a bit (which I couldn’t understand b/c I didn’t see his brake lights at all before I passed the cop).

The cop gets my license, registration, and insurance. I wait and he comes back to my car with the ticket. He asks me if my license was new, and I said it was- I had just moved here recently. He says once again that the guy in front of me must have slowed down a little… I should know that the speed limit around here was 50… and he was going to “be nice” and give me a small break in points by posting me at 64 MPH. He gives me the proper instructions about the ticket and explains the court process and is about to give me the ticket.

I politely say thank you and that I will be taking it to court because I felt slightly discriminated against. I don’t know if it was my out of state plates or just that I was behind the other guy, but I’m not sure why I got pulled over and the gentleman in front of me did not. The officer gets noticeably disturbed at my using the word "discriminated," says he’s only allowed to pull over 1 person at a time, and changes the ticket back to 71 MPH.

This means that the officer changed his ruling based solely on the fact that I explained my natural right to contest the ticket. I did this politely and explained to him why I would do so.

Do I have a case to fight it? Do I need a lawyer to do so? Do I still please guilty?

Labtec600

Of course you may fight it, you can fight all your tickets.

The guy in front of you could have let off the gas, so he didnt have to brake.

The officer gave you a break, you complained about it, so he raised it back up.

Case? I dont think so. Police have discretion and he used it.

BelizeBreeze

The officer gave you a break...you opened your smart mouth and the officer decided to NOT give you a break.

Next time, keep your mouth shut. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">