• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Court procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leviticus

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

Can someone please clarify when exactly the prosecution can no longer make changes to the charge on a traffic ticket?

Is it after they have rested their case?
Is it after the accused has rested their case?
Is it after the prosecution has finished their closing statement?

I am asking this question because I know the prosecution will want to amend their charge on the ticket after I have given evidence.
Can they do that?

Thanks!

seniorjudge

Leviticus said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

Can someone please clarify when exactly the prosecution can no longer make changes to the charge on a traffic ticket?

Is it after they have rested their case?
Is it after the accused has rested their case?
Is it after the prosecution has finished their closing statement?

I am asking this question because I know the prosecution will want to amend their charge on the ticket after I have given evidence.
Can they do that?

Thanks!
Generally, it is after the prosecution has called its first witness. Usually, that is when jeopardy attaches.

lwpat

As usual Seniorjudge is correct. The charge cannot be changed but the officer can ammend the information on the ticket during his testimony including cross. Florida offers traffic school and the ticket will not go on your record. Think carefully before you chance increased insurance premiums for three years.

justalayman

For an answer that really means anything you do need to be more specific. When you say "change" what exactly do you mean?

Understand they CAN ADD charges. And beware, if you give testimony that you did not commit the infraction as written and by testifying you admit to something else that was an infraction.....well..I see money leaving your pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">