• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Tampering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caboman1

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I recently retired from a company after over 15 years of employment. While employed, I had my credit card bills sent to my work address. My last day of work was less than 60 days ago. My former boss is trashing mail that is still arriving at the office rather than forwarding to me. I have contacted the credit card companies and just today the USPS for forwarding. Apparently it takes a while for all that mail to stop going to the old address. Is my former boss committing a federal crime by refusing to give me my mail?

D

doodoo M@ry

caboman1 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

I recently retired from a company after over 15 years of employment. While employed, I had my credit card bills sent to my work address. My last day of work was less than 60 days ago. My former boss is trashing mail that is still arriving at the office rather than forwarding to me. I have contacted the credit card companies and just today the USPS for forwarding. Apparently it takes a while for all that mail to stop going to the old address. Is my former boss committing a federal crime by refusing to give me my mail?

Nope. Once it's delivered, that mail can be tossed by whomever receives it. Your former company has NO DUTY to re-deliver your mail to you. They are not in the "mail business."

IAAL

caboman1

I am confused. I read the following today: "any person who otherwise than in pursuance of his or her duty opens or tampers with or willfully destroys, makes away with or secretes any mail or postal article to be opened or tampered with, destroyed, made away with or secreted is guilty of an offense and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding seven years or to both a fine and such imprisonment." Stated Chapter VIII Offenses, 69. Irregular Opening Of Or Tampering With Mail

Some Random Guy

Yes, but you had the mail sent to A BUSINESS. Once the mail arrives at that business, they can do whatever they want with it, regardless of your name.

Many businesses I deal with have a policy of having the receptionist open and timestamp every piece of mail received, including what you mistakenly think of as "personal" or "private" mail like credit card statements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">