• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"AS" + "3rd Party Warranty" + Need Repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mshelby

What is the name of your state? KY

I bought a '99 Used Vehicle.
I purchased it "AS IS," but at the time of the sale I filled out the paperwork for a warranty offered by the dealer. It was a 3 month warranty with the option to renew it at my expense at the end of the 90 days.

I bought the vehicle on 12/7/05 and noticed a sound of a valve tapping on 12/14/05. I left the vehicle sitting at my wifes work while I pondered what to do, as I had not yet received my warranty paperwork from the third party.

I called the 3rd party warranty company on 12/15 and 12/19. Both times they indicated they had no record of any warranty for me.

On 12/19 I called the dealer and he said he was "pretty sure" he sent the paperwork in, that he would check and call me back. So far he has not called me back. He seems to be a reputable dealer in the area so I am not to concerned about that aspect of it...

On 12/20 I got the call from a repair shop I took the vehicle to stating that they are pretty sure I have a mjor engine problem and may need extensive repair/replacement. They won't know for sure until they really tear into the engine. They won't proceed until they get authorization from my warranty company (which I don't have yet!!)

So, besides getting totally screwed, what are my options? It appears that the lemon law applies here since a warranty was included in the contract for the vehicle.

Help!

Zephyr

mshelby said:
What is the name of your state? KY

I bought a '99 Used Vehicle.
I purchased it "AS IS," but at the time of the sale I filled out the paperwork for a warranty offered by the dealer. It was a 3 month warranty with the option to renew it at my expense at the end of the 90 days.

I bought the vehicle on 12/7/05 and noticed a sound of a valve tapping on 12/14/05. I left the vehicle sitting at my wifes work while I pondered what to do, as I had not yet received my warranty paperwork from the third party.

I called the 3rd party warranty company on 12/15 and 12/19. Both times they indicated they had no record of any warranty for me.

On 12/19 I called the dealer and he said he was "pretty sure" he sent the paperwork in, that he would check and call me back. So far he has not called me back. He seems to be a reputable dealer in the area so I am not to concerned about that aspect of it...

On 12/20 I got the call from a repair shop I took the vehicle to stating that they are pretty sure I have a mjor engine problem and may need extensive repair/replacement. They won't know for sure until they really tear into the engine. They won't proceed until they get authorization from my warranty company (which I don't have yet!!)

So, besides getting totally screwed, what are my options? It appears that the lemon law applies here since a warranty was included in the contract for the vehicle.

Help!

drive to the dealership where you bought the car, ask for your warranty paperwork.

mshelby

Zephyr said:
drive to the dealership where you bought the car, ask for your warranty paperwork.
Thanks for the reply.
What do I do assuming the following scenario:
Let's say he didn't mail it in as he thought he did. Let's also assume that he DID mail it in on 12/19 when I phoned him about it. In that case, he may not have the paperwork. (Ok, he may have a copy, and I'll ask for that...)

At present, I have no vehicle and no warranty! Also, there is no garraunty just what will/won't be covered in the repair. I couldn't know this because I never got my paperwork because he might not have sent it in!

I would think that appealing to his sense of decency and fairness should apply here. At the very least I should start at that point. I don't want "something for nothing," but I do think he should pay for this (or at least the majority share) since he (dealer) is the one who dropped the ball on getting the paperwork in and more importantly may have sold me a vehicle under false pretenses.

teflon_jones

Did you take a copy of the warranty paperwork? Or do you have something in writing saying you purchased a warranty?

When it comes to used cars there are NO reputable dealers!

Zephyr

teflon_jones said:
Did you take a copy of the warranty paperwork? Or do you have something in writing saying you purchased a warranty?

When it comes to used cars there are NO reputable dealers!
what about your purchase agreement? doesn't that have a line that they fill in if one does go ahead and purchase extras, such as a warranty?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">