• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running a red w/ 2 passengers and intermediate license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ange1sDontKi11

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WA

So I'm 16 and have had my license for a few months, and i got two tickets, 1 for having passengers and another for running the red.
I was going the speed limit (45) as i came towards a busy intersection. When i come very near to it, the light turns yellow so i begin to brake, however, if i continued to decelerate, i would have completed my stop in the middle of the intersection, so about the time i had hit 20-25 mph, i decided to accelerate. (stupid i know). about the time i entered the intersection the light turned red, and a cop was two cars behind me. In my drivers ed class, i specifically remember the teacher saying that the first time you get caught with people in your car, it's a warning. I asked the cop this and he basically just said no. anyone have any advice for me? i definately dont have much money right now (less than 100). My plan was to represent myself in court and see if i could get my ticket(s) dismissed/reduced or possible community service. Does anyone see this as a viable plan?

seniorjudge

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Ange1sDontKi11

Curt581 said:
Why would you think the tickets would get dismissed?

You've certainly given no reason here.

More like wishful thinking.

Did you stop for the redlight?

No? What reasoning do you plan to use as your defense?

Were there more people in your car than your license restriction allows?

Yes? What's your defense to that one?

Bringing up something your Driver's Ed teacher told you won't work, unless you're prepared to subpoena him to testify. It also won't work if what he told you was WRONG.

The only way i see my tickets being dismissed is if the cop fails to show up at court, however that is unlikely, but possible so i listed dismissal. but anyways, the second ticket is most likely impossible for me to defend against at this point considering that i am not allowed to have anyone other than family in the car for another 4 months. my reasoning for defense on the redlight will basically go off of the feeling that i didnt think it would have been a safe stop, car behind me was somewhat close, if i had slammed on the brakes there might have been an accident, and i could even say something about ice, because as i remember it was below 32 degrees.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Alot to learn about driving

Ange1sDontKi11 said:
my reasoning for defense on the redlight will basically go off of the feeling that i didnt think it would have been a safe stop, car behind me was somewhat close, if i had slammed on the brakes there might have been an accident, and i could even say something about ice, because as i remember it was below 32 degrees.
So...you are saying you were driving too fast for conditions? You're lucky you didn't get a ticket for that too!
Take this as a lesson. Pay the ticket. And don't violate the conditions of your license that YOU AGREED TO!

seniorjudge

Ange1sDontKi11 said:
do you think having straight A's or having no past record with the police could help in ticket reduction?
That past didn't help you avoid a ticket; I doubt anyone will be interested.

Ange1sDontKi11

you guys make it sound like if i get a reduction of the ticket, ill get it for just showing up at court, because every other piece of reasoning ive brought up is useless...

Who's Liable?

Ange1sDontKi11 said:
you guys make it sound like if i get a reduction of the ticket, ill get it for just showing up at court, because every other piece of reasoning ive brought up is useless...

Listen kid... It's like this:

You broke the law by running the red light. Black and white... whatever the reason you think or what you come up with will not change the fact that you still broke the law by NOT stopping for the light... YOU are in control of the car AT ALL TIMES when you are behind the wheel...

Now you say that if you would of stopped, the person behind you would have hit you... That is NOT your problem, it would have been that drivers problem becuase he needed to put enough space between his car and your car, and you would have been found not at fault.

You also broke the terms of your driving by having any friends in your car... What part of that did you NOT understand? There is a reason why they DONT want your friends in there with you...

Being a first time offende MAY reduce your charges a little, OR the judge may feel that since it is your first time, they will teach you a lesson you won't forget. There is the human factor in there that people on this board cannot guarrantee an answer to.

The best thing you can do was already posted:

Show up on time, dress as if you were goign to church, and speak in a clear audible tone when addressing the judge.

marbol

seniorjudge said:
Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

[ ... ]
Other people may give you other advice; stand by.
Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

"If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room."

If you have a "vibrate" position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR it VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.

seniorjudge

marbol said:
Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

"If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room."

If you have a "vibrate" position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR it VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.
Thanks...it's going into the answer....

dallas702

You're not going to have much time in front of the judge so be prepared with your answers. Since you are guilty of the infraction I suggest you plead guilty, but ask for time to explain why you did what you did. Then, ask for traffic school and you'll probably get it. That's not free, but it will save you points. You'll have a tougher time explaining why you had passengers in the car if the law says you can't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">