• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sally

What is the name of your state?CA An ex-friend called out of the blue and left a nasty message on my answering machine. It only happened once. Is this considered harrassment and is there anything the police would do if I were to report it to them? Thanks.

seniorjudge

Sally said:
What is the name of your state?CA An ex-friend called out of the blue and left a nasty message on my answering machine. It only happened once. Is this considered harrassment and is there anything the police would do if I were to report it to them? Thanks.
Why do you think it was harassment?

Facts and details....

Leinalani

Sally said:

ha·rass ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-rs, hrs)
tr.v. ha·rassed, ha·rass·ing, ha·rass·es
To irritate or torment persistently.
To wear out; exhaust.
To impede and exhaust (an enemy) by repeated attacks or raids.

Taken from: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=harassment

Sally said:
It only happened once.
Hmmm....

Sally

seniorjudge said:
Hmmm...I wonder how one goes about making sure of something like that? I would like to know....
I know it sounds silly. I just hope the calls don't continue and was wondering if there was something I could/should do to prevent that. thanks.

panzertanker

Sally said:
was wondering if there was something I could/should do to prevent that. thanks.
Change your phone number.
Use caller ID to screen your calls if you choose not to change your number.

Leinalani

Sally said:
I know it sounds silly. I just hope the calls don't continue and was wondering if there was something I could/should do to prevent that. thanks.
Keep the recording

Keep a log of all contact that you feel are "harassment".

If it gets worse, call the police and present them with the evidence.

rlrl

In my state...

or at least the way my phone provider does that is they tell you to use call trace if it is on your line to trace annoying or harassing calls. If it's not on your line you can order it or ask the phone company to trace the calls. My company charges $1.50 per trace.

You go to your phone company's annoyance call bureau and file a complaint. you continue tracing the calls. You then go to your police station and file a complaint of aggravated harrassment. I think you have to agree to prosecute the party who is found to be making the calls.

The traced calls stay in the phone company files for 90 days. if 2 or more calls are traced to the same phone number the phone company will forward the calls to the police. I think you have to give the phone company a police complaint number.

There may be limitations such as they won't investigate calls from cell phones or messages left on answering machines.

lilmousemanda

why would she just call out of the blue? there had to be some reason for them to call. but i believe.. since she left them on the answering machine.. you could take it to the police... if you wanted. i'd wait to see if anything more happends.

TYRIS

Sally said:

653m. (a) Every person who, with intent to annoy, telephones or
makes contact by means of an electronic communication device with
another and addresses to or about the other person any obscene
language or addresses to the other person any threat to inflict
injury to the person or property of the person addressed or any
member of his or her family, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in
this subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic
contacts made in good faith.
(b) Every person who makes repeated telephone calls or makes
repeated contact by means of an electronic communication device with
intent to annoy another person at his or her residence, is, whether
or not conversation ensues from making the telephone call or
electronic contact, guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in this
subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic contacts
made in good faith.

-Technically it would fall under this section, but if he only called once and you haven't heard from him again it's doubtful anything would happen. If he repeatedly calls you then I would contact the police and file a report.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">