• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exhusband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynnoakdale

What is the name of your state? California
My divorce was final OCT 11, 2005 and I moved to California. I had not talked to my husband during the proceedings unless it was about the paperwork. On Columbus day of this year I am setting at home and a text message comes across my cell phone with my password. I didnt ask for my password and then about 5 mins later my ex husband calls me. I asked him how he got my number and he wouldnt tell me. He denied trying to get my password but I didnt ask for it and they dont send it to you unless you ask. I am sure he was trying to access my cell phone account and they send the password to the number the account belongs to not the number that is requesting it. He has remembered my social security number and can probably access any account he wanted. It is all part of the mind games he likes to play. I hung up the phone and he called me about 8 times afterwards but I didnt answer. I called my cell phone company and changed my number and all my passwords and had my number unlisted and restricted from caller ID. On Christmas day I get another call from him wanting to wish me a merry christmas. We do not have that kind of relationship where we call and wish each other happy holidays. I dont trust him and dont feel safe. I called him later from a calling card and told him not to call me anymore and that I didnt know how he got my number but it needed to stop. He says he got it from the same person he did before but the only people who have my number are my family and 2 close friends and I know they did not give it to him. I dont think he is getting my number legally and I want to know what I can do to stop him from contacting me period. I dont trust him and I dont feel safe although he lives in Georgia I still wouldnt put anything past him because he knows people out here. Please help. What can I do to protect myself. :confused:

CdwJava

A CA court isn't likely to consider a restraining order since he is too far away to do you or your property physical harm. If he continues to call you, you could consider filing a report for annoying and harassing phone calls, but even if he is clearly violating the statute (PC 653m) they won't extradite him from GA for such an offense.

Other than changing your number and ignoring him, there may not be a whole lot you can do.

Check with your phone company about how you might be able to block his number from your phone. Otheriwse, ignore him. Don't talk to him or engage him, just hang up. People like that get their jollies by getting a rise out of you. Don't give him the satisfaction.

Also, there are many legal ways to get a person's phone number - even unlisted. All because he has the number does not mean he has obtained it illegally. Even if he did, the only illegal ways that comes to mind would be hacking in to some corporation's database or breaking into someone's home to get it. I doubt that happened.

Right now you are letting him win by letting him take control ... Just ignore the jerk.

- Carl

lynnoakdale

Thanks much Carl.....I will continue to ignore him and I think eventually he will grow tired and leave me alone. I apprciate your advice. :)

zippysgoddess

lynnoakdale said:
On Columbus day of this year I am setting at home
Now we have a poster who is laying eggs! Oh well.

Anyway, Carl is right, by getting upset, you are just giving him what he wants. Ignore him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">