• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over 20 years at the same job, now I'm losing my Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamartin

For over 20 years now, I have been employed at a Well Known Restaurant. In order to keep my health insurance, the company that supplies it requires me to work a minimum of 30 hours per week on average. I have been keeping these hours since I started this job a long time ago, it wasn't until this past year and a half that my hours have started dropping well below the required 30.

I have approached different members of management numerous times on this subject asking for more hours. I only wanted just enough hours to keep my insurance, nothing more. What bothers me is that other employees who have only been there less than a hand full of years are getting the hours, even more than they need to keep their insurance going.

Each time I have talked to management, there has never been an instance in which they increased my hours. Even though my insurance plan has now been officially canceled (dental, health, everything), I have gone back again to ask for help from management. Still nothing has happened, they don't seem to care at all. I am one of those employees that is incredibly dependable, always punctual, and in 20 years I have only called in as sick less times that you could count on both hands, and all those times I've had a doctor's excuse. Without blowing my own horn, I would like to say that I am one of the best employees at this establishment and cannot see why they would keep me down lower than everybody else on hours. Can somebody give me some advice?

D

D. D. Lessenberry

It sounds to me as if they want you to retire. Are the other workers ALL younger than you?

I am not an attorney, but have been through harassment in the past. My advice to you is to contact your equal employment opportunity commission (EEOC) in your area.

Before you do this, you might want to approach management one more time, in a non-threatening manner, stating that you believe they are age disciminating.

Good luck.

Let me know what's going on.

M

mamartin

thanks d.d.lessenberry
i am going to try one more time.i still have 21 hours this week.i am still fighting.

mamartin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">