• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Notice of Abandoned Vehicle"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhyNotFab

What is the name of your state? Florida, but the vehicle is in South Dakota

Ok, so here's what happened.. about 2 years ago I traded a 1988 Blazer for a 1994 Lincoln car, we met in Texas to trade. Now just this past week I get a certified letter stating I owe $600 for tow/storage fees, in Sioux Falls, SD. I post a topic on a big automotive forum I'm a member of to see if anyone knew what's going on, and a guy replied with:

I was actually the one who got it from will. The title was lost and this seemed the best way to get a title. The blazer is not for sale and has been parted out and towed. We have a mechanics lean on it here for work done on it last year still and its over 2 grand without out storage fees. If you have any Q's you can call me at . We are just trying to get a clear title. if you do wanna come get it though i can sell you the rims, airide, and engine that was in it. let me know either way. thanks.
I am a little confused as to exactly what's going on, he claims there are liens.. plus I have the letter from a dealership. Does this mean they are trying to hold me responsible for the liens AND the tow/storage? If so.. what can be done about this? If anyone can please help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

seniorjudge

WhyNotFab said:
What is the name of your state? Florida, but the vehicle is in South Dakota

Ok, so here's what happened.. about 2 years ago I traded a 1988 Blazer for a 1994 Lincoln car, we met in Texas to trade. Now just this past week I get a certified letter stating I owe $600 for tow/storage fees, in Sioux Falls, SD. I post a topic on a big automotive forum I'm a member of to see if anyone knew what's going on, and a guy replied with:

I am a little confused as to exactly what's going on, he claims there are liens.. plus I have the letter from a dealership. Does this mean they are trying to hold me responsible for the liens AND the tow/storage? If so.. what can be done about this? If anyone can please help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Sounds like someone (the buyer?) forgot to fully transfer the title from your name to the SD name.

Very irritating but I wouldn't give it another thought.

justalayman

seniorjudge said:
Sounds like someone (the buyer?) forgot to fully transfer the title from your name to the SD name.

Very irritating but I wouldn't give it another thought.
Judge you know better than this. If you just ignore things like this they tend to sneak up and bite you in the ass eventually.

Sounds like SrJ is correct about the title transfer though. Send a letter RRR to whomever is trying to collect the fees, tell them of the sale and suggest the apparent failure of the purchaser to transfer title. Tell them you have no claim to the vehicle and are not responsible for the debt.

I hope you have a reciept/contract to back you up on the sale/trade.

WhyNotFab

My parents may have the bill of sale saved somewhere.. but I actually doubt it.

Right now it's just a dealership claiming I owe for storage/tow fees.. but then the new "owner" of the truck says there are mechanics liens, which I hope he didnt mean I'm responsible because wouldn't that require the vehicle registrant's signature on a contract of work to be done?

seniorjudge

justalayman said:
...Sounds like SrJ is correct about the title transfer though. Send a letter RRR to whomever is trying to collect the fees, tell them of the sale and suggest the apparent failure of the purchaser to transfer title. Tell them you have no claim to the vehicle and are not responsible for the debt....
And keep copies of everything you send....

justalayman

WhyNotFab said:
My parents may have the bill of sale saved somewhere.. but I actually doubt it.

Right now it's just a dealership claiming I owe for storage/tow fees.. but then the new "owner" of the truck says there are mechanics liens, which I hope he didnt mean I'm responsible because wouldn't that require the vehicle registrant's signature on a contract of work to be done?
So who is trying to get the title?
Are there two seperate entities?

I find it strange that the correspondant (the one from the mssg board) would care if he got title or not. The dealership apparently has possession and the fees would probably outweigh the value of the vehicle. Something sounds a little scammy possibly. I would be looking for that paperwork.

I would still send the letter to the dealership though. If they are unaware of the situation they might attempt to sue you.

You might try to get a copy of the work orders from the other guy so you have proof of anothers signature for work.

WhyNotFab

i called the auto sales place, kind of a junk yard.. he said that someone else had it towed there, and he found me as the owner so he could sell/crush, etc.. BUT i guess the other guy, purposely got it towed to the place.. so theyd track me down, and try to get a title and then they could buy it since they have mechanics leins on it or whatever.

seniorjudge

WhyNotFab said:
i called the auto sales place, kind of a junk yard.. he said that someone else had it towed there, and he found me as the owner so he could sell/crush, etc.. BUT i guess the other guy, purposely got it towed to the place.. so theyd track me down, and try to get a title and then they could buy it since they have mechanics leins on it or whatever.
Tell them you will sign the title over to them IF and ONLY IF they release you in writing from ALL obligations.

teflon_jones

seniorjudge said:
Tell them you will sign the title over to them IF and ONLY IF they release you in writing from ALL obligations.
I wouldn't sign anything. That acknowledges that this person still has some claim to the vehicle. They sold it and have no association with it. Tell this to whoever is trying to get the money from you, and if they continue to contact you, refer them to the person you sold the car to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">