• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claim Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stymied

Periodically, I am forced to take individuals in the state of California to small claims for lack of payment. When I am awarded judgment the defendant is given 30 days to challenge the decision of the court. Once the 30 days expires I then have the right to take action to secure judgment. Now my question, is there any possible way to attach an individual's federal tax refund? I have had clients literally come into the office and laugh saying that I can't get anything. They job hop and trying to garnish wages isn't feasible because they are changing jobs all the time. I can't attach a bank account because they don't have one. None of the individuals own homes, so an abstract of judgment is out of the question. The majority of the people literally skip on my company and thumb their noses knowing that they can move on without having to pay. Mind you, these aren't individuals that are low income, but people who have a joint income of $40+ annually. If there is some way to attach their refund then maybe they won't try to rip off other people in the future. Any help is greatly appreciated.

S

stymied

Small Claims Judgment

Lawrat, thanks for the information. I now have a direction that I can go in.

J

JenniferH

Unfortunately, I don't think Federal law allows one to attach a Federal tax return. Some states allow state refund attachments, but you really have to think first about doing this. Best bet is to go with the 2 sistes you wre referred to. Believe me, in my business I wish I could attach Fed. income tax refunds!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">