• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA separation/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Buggy

I have been married for 10 years and have three chidren by my husband. He has a gambling problem which continually get us into financial trouble. He is very verbally abusive to me and our three children. My children have asked me to lock him out of the house and not let him back in. He threatens me with stopping his direct deposit to our checking account if I say anything to him (which, btw, would mean I would not see any of it for bills etc.) I have asked him to leave, but he refuses. He has threatened to do something to my car and to my PC if I do anything to try and make him leave. (It should be noted that I have a home based business, and I need my PC for my work.) Due to his latest gambling spree, there was not enough money in our checking account, and the bank went ahead and paid for 8 checks and charged us $244 for those checks, so needless to say, I am strapped for money. I do not have the resources to up and move myself, and I do not want to have to uproot my kids due to him, they are traumatized enough as it is. I want to get him to leave somehow, but I do not know what my legal rights are. I do not want to give him enough notice to do anything stupid before I make him leave. I asked a lawyer once and he said that, legally, I had to give him "30 days notice" even if his name is not on the lease, which it is. I may be able to change that with my landlady, but I need to know what I can do legally and how to go about doing it. I am desperate here. I am not sure I can even support me and the kids when he leaves, but it cannot be any worse than it is now. I cannot afford a lawyer so how can I do this myself and also get child support. There are also many bills (most in my name but some in both) that I know I will be stuck with. We just bought a car from my dad and pay him $100 a month. He drives the car. I also have a car that is in both our names, but the loan for the car is in my name. We just bought a time share that he talked me into buying. Who will be responsible for paying for that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">