• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The post office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erbu44

What is the name of your state?State: Massachusetts

My apartment was recently broken into while I was on vacation. I am confident the that thief obtained my holiday information from someone at the post office as he actually had the audacity impersonate a US Postal service employee and called me to confirm the details of my on-line submission. I've confirmed with the US Postal Service that they in fact do not make these confirmation call backs so I'm certain that it was the criminal who called me. The problem I'm faced with now is that neither the city police nor the Postal Inspector seem interested in pursuing this matter.

What kind of civil action can I take to pursue this matter?

Thank you!

seniorjudge

erbu44 said:
What is the name of your state?State: Massachusetts

My apartment was recently broken into while I was on vacation. I am confident the that thief obtained my holiday information from someone at the post office as he actually had the audacity impersonate a US Postal service employee and called me to confirm the details of my on-line submission. I've confirmed with the US Postal Service that they in fact do not make these confirmation call backs so I'm certain that it was the criminal who called me. The problem I'm faced with now is that neither the city police nor the Postal Inspector seem interested in pursuing this matter.

What kind of civil action can I take to pursue this matter?

Thank you!
Q: What kind of civil action can I take to pursue this matter?

A: Against whom and what is your proof?

erbu44

The post office. The caller identified himself as a us postal worker and the US postal inspector confirmed that 1) the USPS does not make these phone calls and 2) the that phone call I received came from a phone within the US Postal department. The call actually left a number on my caller ID and the postal service confirmed that the call was made from within their office but that the phone must have been mis-programmed as the call back number was actually for another business. Even the detective, before he quit pursuing this, believes it was the post office but all of the evidence to this point is circumstantial. There is more 'evidence' but I believe any court would call it circumstantial but I can't get anyone to investigate the case and I'm not sure how to go about getting help.

seniorjudge

erbu44 said:
The post office. The caller identified himself as a us postal worker and the US postal inspector confirmed that 1) the USPS does not make these phone calls and 2) the that phone call I received came from a phone within the US Postal department. The call actually left a number on my caller ID and the postal service confirmed that the call was made from within their office but that the phone must have been mis-programmed as the call back number was actually for another business. Even the detective, before he quit pursuing this, believes it was the post office but all of the evidence to this point is circumstantial. There is more 'evidence' but I believe any court would call it circumstantial but I can't get anyone to investigate the case and I'm not sure how to go about getting help.
The circumstantial evidence of dog prints in the mud will outweigh the eyewitness testimony of ten thousand angels that no dog passed this way.

From what you are telling me, you don't have any circumstantial evidence that the post office did this: you have NO evidence of who did it!

erbu44

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I take it then that unless there are finger prints or someone saw the guy scale the wall and break the window I'm out of luck. Have a good evening.

erbu44

My damages would be the loss of my laptop, jewelry and money that was stolen. I believe that the US Postal Service did not protect the integrity of the information I submitted on line and therefore the criminal had knowledge that I would be out of town and broke in while I was on vacation.

justalayman

Actually I think I was misunderstanding your post. I think I have most of it now. Can you clear up a couple of things.

What on-line submission info are you talking about.

This part of your post, especially the part about the call back number and the mis-programming:

The call actually left a number on my caller ID and the postal service confirmed that the call was made from within their office but that the phone must have been mis-programmed as the call back number was actually for another business.
and if neither of the two items above address this: what has the post office have to do with your on-line submission (of what info)

You Are Guilty

Without going into too many details, it is actually quite simple to spoof caller ID numbers. With about 60 seconds preparation, I can call you and your caller ID will read George Bush, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Doesn't mean that I'm him though.

You'll need better (actual) proof, like certified copies of the telephone company's records (I believe it's still called a "pen register").

Kane

Talk to a civil lawyer, or post in one of the civil law forums.

Obviously, you have a cause of action against the guy who broke into your apartment. But you want to sue the post office.

You'll need to have some sort of proof that 1.) the burglar actually had something to do with the post office, and 2.) that they knew, or should have known, that he was a thief.

If the guy actually did work for the post office, why would he need to confirm that you were going away for the holidays? Wouldn't the form already have confirmed that? Also, how did they know the call came from the post office, especially when your caller ID said it didn't?

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
The circumstantial evidence of dog prints in the mud will outweigh the eyewitness testimony of ten thousand angels that no dog passed this way.

**A: you are right on. I heard that one on a Scooby Doo cartoon.

innocent

yes

Do you have rental insurance.

Yes. Insurance will pay the cost with copy of police reports

No. Civil lawyer may help.

erbu44

I submitted on online request to have my mail held for the week I would be on vacation. Several hours later I received a phone call from a man claiming to be the post office to confirm that the request was for all occupants (my boyfriend and I don't share the last name so I thought this is why they were calling)

After the break-in I was suspicious of the phone call so I called the phone number that was still on my caller ID (Maybe I watch too much CSI). The number on my ID was a business in town but not the Post Office.

I called the post office to get more information. I confirmed from 2 independent offices that the post office does not make caonfirmation call back on requests to hold mail. So I contacted the Inspector Generals office.

The Inspector General confirmed that a call was made to my mobile phone from a Post Office phone in the middle of the work floor. I'm not sure how he tracked the information but he's certain that the call was made from someone within the post office. He also confirmed that the post office doesn't make those phone calls.

But this is the last I've heard. Neither the police department nor the postal service is interested in pursuing this matter.

In the state of Massachusetts, jewelry bought in a pawn shop has to be photographed, submitted to the police and then held for 30 days before it can be sold. (Which of course, no one at the police department told me until a few days ago) So, if the criminal would have been identified within 30 days there's a chance that I could have gotten my jewelry back-

Still looking for feedback if anyone has any. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">