• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dchinel

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Guam. I was approached via email to be a payment representative for a company in china who deals with imports and exports. customers were to send me thier payments i depoist them into an account, and wait for the check to clear take 10% for my payment, and send the rest to the company. A customer sent a check for $20,000.00, i depoisted the check, the bank cleared it in less than the normal time. I used the funds, being that it was agreed that on the other payments i recieved i would not deduct the 10%. it turned out that the check the customer sent was altered. the bank said the check was supposed to be $320.00 not $20,000.00

The police have been questioning me, and i explained to them the situation. I told them I had no knowledge that the check was altered in any way. I also told them that the company advised me that I should be recieving a check for that amount. I never knew or had any idea that the check was altered or forged. I provided email conversations and also gave the name and the phone number of the person who sent me the check. i saved the envelope from where the check was mailed in. the police came to my house and siezed all the things i bought with the money. which of course i consented.

i would like to know if i can be charged with anything? and if yes what will the charges be?

Thanks
Donna on a small island of guam :)

HomeGuru

dchinel said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Guam. I was approached via email to be a payment representative for a company in china who deals with imports and exports. customers were to send me thier payments i depoist them into an account, and wait for the check to clear take 10% for my payment, and send the rest to the company. A customer sent a check for $20,000.00, i depoisted the check, the bank cleared it in less than the normal time. I used the funds, being that it was agreed that on the other payments i recieved i would not deduct the 10%. it turned out that the check the customer sent was altered. the bank said the check was supposed to be $320.00 not $20,000.00

The police have been questioning me, and i explained to them the situation. I told them I had no knowledge that the check was altered in any way. I also told them that the company advised me that I should be recieving a check for that amount. I never knew or had any idea that the check was altered or forged. I provided email conversations and also gave the name and the phone number of the person who sent me the check. i saved the envelope from where the check was mailed in. the police came to my house and siezed all the things i bought with the money. which of course i consented.

i would like to know if i can be charged with anything? and if yes what will the charges be?

Thanks

**A: anaother one of those scams and yes you could be in big trouble unless you return the banks money.

dchinel

can i be charged

i spent the money...the police confiscated all the items i bought using the money. and shouldn't the bank who released the funds be liable also....they said it takes 16 businsess working days for the check to clear. they didn't clear the check but released the funds in less than 9 days

seniorjudge

dchinel said:
i spent the money...the police confiscated all the items i bought using the money. and shouldn't the bank who released the funds be liable also....they said it takes 16 businsess working days for the check to clear. they didn't clear the check but released the funds in less than 9 days
You are guilty; take your punishment.

HomeGuru

dchinel said:
i spent the money...

**A: that's not defense in the criminal court of law.

the police confiscated all the items i bought using the money. and shouldn't the bank who released the funds be liable also

**A: why should they, you took part in a scam.

....they said it takes 16 businsess working days for the check to clear. they didn't clear the check but released the funds in less than 9 days
**A: then why didn't you rant and rave at the time prior to you getting the $$$$$$ "Wait a minute bank, DO NOT give me the cash until the check clears OK"

dchinel

can i be charged

I did ask the bank if they were sure the funds were good and they said yes..i even spoke to the supervisior......if i knew the check was not good i wouldn't have spent the money....i did recieve another check for $30,015.00 I told the bank if that check was altered in any way I don't want anything to do with it. if I was to really alter that check, I would've been smarter about this. but I had no idea the check was bad.

seniorjudge

dchinel said:

Thanks

but I had no idea the check was bad.

How can you say that with a straight face?

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
but I had no idea the check was bad.

How can you say that with a straight face?

**A: take another look. It's not really straight. It's just an optical delusion.

dchinel

because it's the TRUTH

Because I'm telling the truth wheather you believe it or not. Why can't the police go after the guy who sent the check, i gave them his phone number and his name and the country he's in. they even have the envelope with a stamp showing it's from a foreign country. yeah it looked too good to be true but even people scam other people using ebay and other well known websites. so why should this be different......the fact of the matter is, he knew the check was bad, and still wanted me to send the money to him....

HomeGuru

dchinel said:
Because I'm telling the truth wheather you believe it or not. Why can't the police go after the guy who sent the check, i gave them his phone number and his name and the country he's in.

**A: hahaha, you think the police are going to go to a foreign country to look for one guy?

they even have the envelope with a stamp showing it's from a foreign country. yeah it looked too good to be true but even people scam other people using ebay and other well known websites. so why should this be different......the fact of the matter is, he knew the check was bad, and still wanted me to send the money to him....

**A: so you're telling us (and want us to believe) that you honestly thought you could get free money for doing very little work?

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: so you're telling us (and want us to believe) that you honestly thought you could get free money for doing very little work?
There are two con artists here: one in China and one in Guam.

AHA

dchinel said:
Because I'm telling the truth wheather you believe it or not. Why can't the police go after the guy who sent the check, i gave them his phone number and his name and the country he's in. they even have the envelope with a stamp showing it's from a foreign country. yeah it looked too good to be true but even people scam other people using ebay and other well known websites. so why should this be different......the fact of the matter is, he knew the check was bad, and still wanted me to send the money to him....
You fell for a well known scam. In this day and age NO ONE gets a $20,000 check without having to actually work for it, or win it. International import and export companies don't have to rely on private individuals sitting at home, to make or receive payments, that's what banks are for.

You actually went out and blew $20 grand the second you got it?? You are going to be held accountable for repaying the bank every penny.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">