• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back wages owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shadyhollow

Need help where do I begin? I was recently fired from my job. Now district manager refuses to pay 1week of pay plus commission which is the bulk of the money. Due to this situation I have been lft in a big financial bind. What do I need to do to get the money owed and what can I get compensated for because of this situation?

JETX

Write a 'demand letter', spelling out exactly what is owed and from where ($x for salary, plus $y for commissions). Send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Give them a reasonable time (3 business days?) to respond. Also, advise them that their failure to properly compensate you will cause you damages and that you might pursue litigation in order to cover your lost wages, commissions AND damages.
At the bottom of the letter, be sure to 'cc' to your state labor board.

If they don't pay, then you will be forced to pursue your claim in the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">