• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writing medical prescriptions to non patients

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beachguy2667

What is the name of your state?NY and Florida
Is it legal for a doctor to write a prescription (for pain killers, heart medicines, etc.) for someone (like a relative) who is not a patient, i.e., there is no arms length relationship because no billings have ever taken place?

HomeGuru

beachguy2667 said:
What is the name of your state?NY and Florida
Is it legal for a doctor to write a prescription (for pain killers, heart medicines, etc.) for someone (like a relative) who is not a patient, i.e., there is no arms length relationship because no billings have ever taken place?

**A: yes it is, how do you thing I get my drugs.

HomeGuru

beachguy2667 said:
sorry, I was hoping for more than an idiot to respond :) :)

**A: when you provide us with a real situation with real facts, you may get a response. We do not respond to what if's etc. In addition, this subject has been discussed before. Use your brains and your search function. Lastly, the first question asks what is the name of your state, singular, not plural.
Do you have trouble following very simple instructions?

beachguy2667

ok, facts: my doctor brother in law in NY has been writing prescriptions for my aunt in Florida. For reasons relating to his designs on her estate, we are concerned about him beginning to prescribe drugs which may be harmful to her, beginning to omit prescriptions she needs, changing her dosages, etc. We want to tell him to stop writing any prescriptions because she is going to get all future prescriptions from her Florida doctors. So we are simply trying to elicit whether we can tell him he has to stop because it's illegal or unethical to continue to write them and threaten to make complaints to NY medical boards, associations he belongs to , criminal authorities, etc.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for us? FYI, other family members and I are concerned for my aunt's safety.

HomeGuru

beachguy2667 said:
ok, facts: my doctor brother in law in NY has been writing prescriptions for my aunt in Florida. For reasons relating to his designs on her estate, we are concerned about him beginning to prescribe drugs which may be harmful to her, beginning to omit prescriptions she needs, changing her dosages, etc. We want to tell him to stop writing any prescriptions because she is going to get all future prescriptions from her Florida doctors. So we are simply trying to elicit whether we can tell him he has to stop because it's illegal or unethical to continue to write them and threaten to make complaints to NY medical boards, associations he belongs to , criminal authorities, etc.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for us? FYI, other family members and I are concerned for my aunt's safety.

**A: this is a no brainer. Of course you tell him to stop. You don't need us to tell you that. What is wrong with you are your relatives anyway?

rmet4nzkx

HomeGuru said:
**A: this is a no brainer. Of course you tell him to stop. You don't need us to tell you that. What is wrong with you are your relatives anyway?
They only want their piece of the pie, :eek: I mean their rich aunt's safety.

beachguy2667

We understand what you are saying, however,you are not answering the question. My aunt wishes to continue to get "free" prescriptions from my brother in law. However, she is oblivious to the danger she is in. We can tell him to stop of course, however, if he refuses do we have any legal recourse against him. Can he be reported to medical boards or associations he is affiliated with, etc. Please answer this question if you know. Is it illegal or unethical for a doctor to prescribe potentially dangerous medications to someone if they are not his patient. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">