• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolphin45n

My husband has been arrested in salem, oregon on possession of a firearm by a convicted felon (which I never knew he was) but he is to be transported to Boise, Idaho to be charged with Grand Larceny. I have an 8 month little girl and my parents are warning me about not helping him get out because the police will think that I was helping him with the Grand Larceny, but I live in Georgia. He stayed in a hotel there and had a check for 10,000 that he was supposed to get cashed but never did. Before he left he paid $500 to the $5,000 bill that is still there which is why he is being charged with grand larceny because in the state of Idaho anything over $1,000 is considered grand larceny. My husband wants me to call the DA in Idaho and ask them if they will give him probation because he is expecting to get $5,000 in February. I think that my question is do I have a chance of losing my daughter if I try to help him get put on probation instead of jail time? As it stand right now he is facing a $10,000 fine or a min of 1 year in prision or up to a max of 14 years in prision. Is there anything I can do to help my husband without comprimising me and my daughter? Any comments will help.

Thanks

justalayman

I can't see how you think you are going to jeopardize custody of your child.
Unless you do something dumb enough to get thrown into jail, why would that happen.

As far as helping your husband. As long as you did not break the law and do not do anything to break the law you can do whatever you would like to do.

Does he have a defense attorney? Give him/her a call to see if there is anything you can do to help.

Kane

The best thing you can do for him is help him get a good defense attorney.

Calling the prosecutor yourself will be useless, but you won't get in trouble for it.

Dolphin45n

Well I am afraid that maybe he will say that I knew about his hotel bill and said nothing. He is wanting me to call the DA and see if they will give him probation. As it stand right now, he is still in Oregon standing charges. Is there anyway that the DA will go for this? He is supposed to get money Feb 16 I believe and if so will the DA accept this offer?

justalayman

Were you with him in Idaho? If not I'm not sure how he can implicate you in his crime.

You can try to call the DA. The worst they can say is no. Seeing that he is supposed to get the money Feb 16 and the way you talk he probably won't even be back to Idaho until at least then.

Even if Idaho will take the money, they are still going to extradite him to face the charges. He needs to be arraigned before he can plead guilty.

Dolphin45n

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate all of your advice and will use this imformation that I have received.

Thanks

Dolphin45n

I have another question. My husband is now being charged with theft by deception. He stayed in a hotel and ran the bill up to about $5,000. He was able to stay there because he showed the managers a $10,500 check that he had and had intensions of cashing but never did. The point finally came when the hotel made him leave since he could not pay. He told them that he would pay the bill as soon as money came in. Since the hotel didn't want to wait anymore they put a warrant out on him as of Nov 17, 2005. He was arrested Dec 31, 2005. How would this be handled in court and how should this really be classified. At first they charged him with Grand Larceny but now they have changed it to theft by deception. Can they do this?

Thanks for any help

acmb05

Yes they can

Dolphin45n said:
I have another question. My husband is now being charged with theft by deception. He stayed in a hotel and ran the bill up to about $5,000. He was able to stay there because he showed the managers a $10,500 check that he had and had intensions of cashing but never did. The point finally came when the hotel made him leave since he could not pay. He told them that he would pay the bill as soon as money came in. Since the hotel didn't want to wait anymore they put a warrant out on him as of Nov 17, 2005. He was arrested Dec 31, 2005. How would this be handled in court and how should this really be classified. At first they charged him with Grand Larceny but now they have changed it to theft by deception. Can they do this?

Thanks for any help
And he should be happy about it cause it is not as bad a charge.

Why did'nt he cash the check and pay the bill?

If you are afraid he would try to implicate you in something you had no part in why would you want to help him anyway?

justalayman

IF the check was real and you have any acces to the proceeds from the check, the only thing I can see you doing is:

call the hotel and, IF you can pay them the money owed, see if they will drop the charges against your husband.

Other than that, use the money to pay for an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">