• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY(NYC) Advice Needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yankees98a

What is the name of your state? NYC

NY(NYC) Advice Needed

We settle a malpractice case for 700k. Here's where the issue gets tricky. My mother left will a will leaving everything to my father and if not him then her two sons. For it to go to us tax free I assume he simply renounces 2/3 of the lawsuitand we each get a third

However our lawyer in the malpractice case never remembered my mother having a will. Despite her being alive at the start of the case(and being terminal he could of asked her). My father also told him after she died. Anyway he went through this whole process of my fatherbeing apointed an administrator and stuff. After the case settled he said you had a will we could of avoided that. We settled in Dec. It's now pending through NYC Surgogate court for approval apparently. Just in case for my father protection I had him notarize a letter saying he renouncing 2/3 of the lawsuit per the will

Two questions
How long does approval and the completion of the process to be paid take?
Is this endround through making my father adminsitator instead of a will costly.. And can it cost us tax wise instead of going through the will in first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">