• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual offender in neighborhood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shel77

What is the name of your state? Florida
I think this is the right forum for this.

We recently discovered through the Florida sexual offender registry that a person renting a home in our community was convicted of statutorily rape in Tenn. I wanted to find out exactly what had happened prior to saying anything to our neighbors. Before I could get any information (which was like pulling teeth since it was in another state) another neighbor also saw the web site and printed flyers and passed them out on the actual street this man lives on (not all 130 homes) Anyhow, I call and finally got the clerk of the courts in the county he was convicted in they lady read the paperwork to me and told me it was a 13 yr old and he had pled guilty to aggravated rape, I was outraged and did not know what to do. I was hoping to find out she was 17 and her parents got mad that she was seeing an older man ect. This happened in '98 and he was 30 at the time. The home he is living in is also occupied by a woman and her 3 children who have their friends coming in and out of the home all the time I think our entire neighborhood needs to know what this man did but I don't want to violate his rights either. I know that the parents of the visiting children have no idea who their children are encountering when they visit his home, I have young children and I would want someone to inform me. I understand that this man has served him time is now allowed to live in society but I am still afraid statically he might do the same thing again and I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened and I did not inform these people of the information I have. What would you do?

Just Blue

Shel77 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I think this is the right forum for this.

We recently discovered through the Florida sexual offender registry that a person renting a home in our community was convicted of statutorily rape in Tenn. I wanted to find out exactly what had happened prior to saying anything to our neighbors. Before I could get any information (which was like pulling teeth since it was in another state) another neighbor also saw the web site and printed flyers and passed them out on the actual street this man lives on (not all 130 homes) Anyhow, I call and finally got the clerk of the courts in the county he was convicted in they lady read the paperwork to me and told me it was a 13 yr old and he had pled guilty to aggravated rape, I was outraged and did not know what to do. I was hoping to find out she was 17 and her parents got mad that she was seeing an older man ect. This happened in '98 and he was 30 at the time. The home he is living in is also occupied by a woman and her 3 children who have their friends coming in and out of the home all the time I think our entire neighborhood needs to know what this man did but I don't want to violate his rights either. I know that the parents of the visiting children have no idea who their children are encountering when they visit his home, I have young children and I would want someone to inform me. I understand that this man has served him time is now allowed to live in society but I am still afraid statically he might do the same thing again and I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened and I did not inform these people of the information I have. What would you do?

This is not an legal answer...but I would tell your neighbors. They do have the right to know that there is a offender in the area...Does the lady that he lives with know? Are they dating or is he a tenant of hers?

Shel77

Im do not know if she is aware or not, I spoke with her once when shen was walking in the neighborhood with her 3 year old (same age as my son) and she seemed very nice and rather "smart" not the type to date a know child rapest. But I think she is dating him, I also have seen this man before at her home and this was over 6 monthes ago, he just reported that this was his address to the regestery less than 2 weeks ago.

Just Blue

Shel77 said:
Im do not know if she is aware or not, I spoke with her once when shen was walking in the neighborhood with her 3 year old (same age as my son) and she seemed very nice and rather "smart" not the type to date a know child rapest. But I think she is dating him, I also have seen this man before at her home and this was over 6 monthes ago, he just reported that this was his address to the regestery less than 2 weeks ago.

I think I would send an anomonious note to her with a printout of the site...just in case she does not know...but it does amaze me how women will move guy into their home with their children without doing a backround on them... :(

reyn562

Sex Offender Laws

Beware and make sure you check your state laws regarding disclosure of sex offenders in your neighborhood.

Some states have restrictions on rules regarding telling others about a sex offender's presence. Each neighbor has a right to know this, but to protect the rights of the offender from "vigilante justice," there are laws which may prohibit such activities.

You do have the right to tell neighbors that a sex offender lives in the area but in states affected you may not be allowed to put up posters or other indicia of the offender's identity or address.

Check with your police department: in the case of sexual predators they are required to notify neighbors, schools, and day-care centers and provide such posters or flyers.

Shel77

I can not stand it when people never come back and post what happened so I decided to;

I aquired a copy of our city's sexual offender ordinance and since he is living within 2,500 feet of our public school bus stop he is in violation and they gave him one week to move if he does not he will be arrested and sentanced to a min of 60 days and then must not return or be arrested and sentanced to 120 days ect. Just wanted to update. Thanks for your help.

Just Blue

Shel77 said:
I can not stand it when people never come back and post what happened so I decided to;

I aquired a copy of our city's sexual offender ordinance and since he is living within 2,500 feet of our public school bus stop he is in violation and they gave him one week to move if he does not he will be arrested and sentanced to a min of 60 days and then must not return or be arrested and sentanced to 120 days ect. Just wanted to update. Thanks for your help.

Did you find out if the woman he was living with knew he was a sex offender??

Shel77

She now knows and is letting him stay until he finds somewhere else to go in the next week. She said she had no idea they also let her know that he had a two page "rap sheet" insane that she knew so little about this creep she let live in her home.

Just Blue

Shel77 said:
She now knows and is letting him stay until he finds somewhere else to go in the next week. She said she had no idea they also let her know that he had a two page "rap sheet" insane that she knew so little about this creep she let live in her home.

She is letting him stay untill he get a new place?? Is she nuts?? The father of her children needs a phone call...this woman shouldn't have custody!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">