• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cover up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fulda54

What is the name of your state? KY, I bought an 05 Grand Am with 12,000 miles. The dealer provided a CarFax on the car, which indicated it had a clean title. About five days after I had taken position of the vehicle, a friend of mine noticed something odd about the car. After looking closer at the car, we found where it had been repainted and some damage inside the left rear door that had not been repaired or painted. My friend owns a body shop and he told me that the vehicle had been in some kind of accident. I called the dealer and told him what I had discovered. It seems as if I am getting the run-a-round. I would like to propose three options to the dealer: 1. Reduce the price another $1500, 2. Replace the vehicle with a similar one at same price ($9980), or 3. Take back the car and release me of all financial obligations. I would prefer 1. Am I out of line on my demands? Thank You.
Fulda54

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
fulda54 said:
What is the name of your state? KY, I bought an 05 Grand Am with 12,000 miles. The dealer provided a CarFax on the car, which indicated it had a clean title. About five days after I had taken position of the vehicle, a friend of mine noticed something odd about the car. After looking closer at the car, we found where it had been repainted and some damage inside the left rear door that had not been repaired or painted. My friend owns a body shop and he told me that the vehicle had been in some kind of accident. I called the dealer and told him what I had discovered. It seems as if I am getting the run-a-round. I would like to propose three options to the dealer: 1. Reduce the price another $1500, 2. Replace the vehicle with a similar one at same price ($9980), or 3. Take back the car and release me of all financial obligations. I would prefer 1. Am I out of line on my demands? Thank You.
Fulda54
Carfax would not necessarily show an accident. "Clean Title" means just that. There is no lien holder and the car was not totalled (salvage). Prior body work is something that you should have caught prior to purchasing the vehicle (that is, you should have caught it if it was enough to make you want to pay less.)
You missed it because it's not obvious. Live with it. Learn from it.

teflon_jones

Carfax only shows reported accidents. People place FAR too much faith in it. In reality, it's worthless. You should always have a vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic prior to purchase unless you're buying a junker, regardless of what the Carfax says.

What does your contract with the dealer you bought if from say?

bononos

Now you need to ignore FARTS and SKANK!
Click on the posters name, in the blue line across the screen, click the ignore poster!

OR TRY...(as provided by another poster)

Go into UserCP and under Miscellaneous you have a Buddy/Ignore list.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">