• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Dependents and EIC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state? MO

I'm trying to fill out my tax stuff on turbo tax, so as soon as I have my W-2 I can finish it and get it sent off.

Yesterday, I ran the error check and it came back with no errors. Today, all I changed was my kids' social security numbers, and it's giving me the following error...

A nondependent has been listed as qualifying for the child tax credit (see tax help, this is unusual). This requires Form 8901 to be filed. Form 8901 is currently not supported by the program. You will not be able to efile this return. Complete Form 8901 from the IRS website (www.IRS.gov) and attach it to the return mailed to the IRS.
What does this mean, and how do I fix it? I don't think I should be getting the child tax credit for this particular child.

Background... I claim the youngest child as a dependent, the ex claims the oldest child as a dependent. I claim both for EIC because they live with me 57% of the time.

LdiJ

CJane said:
What is the name of your state? MO

I'm trying to fill out my tax stuff on turbo tax, so as soon as I have my W-2 I can finish it and get it sent off.

Yesterday, I ran the error check and it came back with no errors. Today, all I changed was my kids' social security numbers, and it's giving me the following error...

What does this mean, and how do I fix it? I don't think I should be getting the child tax credit for this particular child.

Background... I claim the youngest child as a dependent, the ex claims the oldest child as a dependent. I claim both for EIC because they live with me 57% of the time.
Its a software issue. We are running into the same problem in our office, with our software. What we have to do is specifically code that the child tax credit doesn't apply to that child. If you are using Turbo Tax you may not have the option to code that. You might want to visit a professional tax preparer this year. They will be able to efile your return so that you don't have to go the paper route.

CJane

LdiJ said:
Its a software issue. We are running into the same problem in our office, with our software. What we have to do is specifically code that the child tax credit doesn't apply to that child. If you are using Turbo Tax you may not have the option to code that. You might want to visit a professional tax preparer this year. They will be able to efile your return so that you don't have to go the paper route.
Ahhhh... ok. As long as I know it's not something I'm going to have to figure out how to fix. I probably will end up going to an actual tax preparer this year (thanks to you making me all paranoid about the whole EIC thing ;) ), I was mostly trying to figure out what my refund would be before I did that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">