• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interest on house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmhac

What is the name of your state? Washington

I am a senior citizen and have just bought a house. I am partially disabled
and receive a disability from VA. I have a total of 4 dependants and pay a low or no tax. My question pertains to interest on my house. Is this deductible and if so how when I pay little or no tax. I'm paying about $ 8-9000.00 a year in interest. Am I SOL because I am retired and pay little or no tax??? Any help appreciated...Thanks :)

LdiJ

jmhac said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I am a senior citizen and have just bought a house. I am partially disabled
and receive a disability from VA. I have a total of 4 dependants and pay a low or no tax. My question pertains to interest on my house. Is this deductible and if so how when I pay little or no tax. I'm paying about $ 8-9000.00 a year in interest. Am I SOL because I am retired and pay little or no tax??? Any help appreciated...Thanks :)
You may be. If you don't have enough income to make itemizing worth while, then you may have no benefit for a mortgage interest deduction.

abezon

If you paid $9000 interest, you'll have enough to itemize, once you add property taxes & state sales tax & any other deductions. This may be enough to get you to paying no tax. Once your taxable income is $0, you don't benefit from more deductions. Generally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">