• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sales Tax on business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shadows

What is the name of your state? New York

I recently sold a business 8 months ago. 3 months after I sold it I got audited. Now they are stating based on rent and location I owe past due sales tax because I don't have enough documentation to prove otherwise. I had refinanced my home 2 times just to support the business because it wasnt making the money to stay in business. That is the reason I sold it. the money from the refinance was not put into my bank account because I was scared of past debt that they would freeze my accounts. So i kept the money in a safe at home and deposited into the business account when needed. How can I prove this?? I showed them the refinancing papers but they are stating I could have used that money for anything since I dont exactly have proof the money I deposited was from the refinance and not money the business was earning. Also I had borrowed money from friends and family for the business and paid them back after i sold the business. Is there anyway I can prove that as well since most of it was cash money?? Can anyone help me with this??

abezon

A tax attorney could have helped you before the audit. Now, you've probably said something to torpedo yourself. But consult with a tax attorney anyway. You'll probably end up in court, since the state has already decided the facts in its favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">