• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

norman

What is the name of your state?
New York
Dear Sir:
Both of my parents have passed away in 2005. I will be doing their tax returns this year. I know that if a refund is due them I would have to file form 1310 to receive their refund. I dont understand one question on the form....."As the person claiming the refund for the decedents estate will you pay out the refund according to the laws of the state where the decedent was a legal resident?" Just what does this mean? Please help me if you can. Thank you.
Norman

LdiJ

norman said:
What is the name of your state?
New York
Dear Sir:
Both of my parents have passed away in 2005. I will be doing their tax returns this year. I know that if a refund is due them I would have to file form 1310 to receive their refund. I dont understand one question on the form....."As the person claiming the refund for the decedents estate will you pay out the refund according to the laws of the state where the decedent was a legal resident?" Just what does this mean? Please help me if you can. Thank you.
Norman
What it means is....if the IRS pays the refund to you, will you use the money as required under NY law? In other words, either use it to pay their debts, or give it to the people (perhaps you) who are legally entitled to receive it.

The basically want to make sure that you aren't someone who would pocket money that technically belonged to someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">