• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It A Crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomagus

FLORIDA I rented a room to someone who left owing me a lot of money. This person left behind a lot of junk, some personal possessions and a new TV. I intend to hold this stuff until he pays what he owes me. (PROBLEM)! - I have since found out that the TV was rented and the rental company wants it back. I don't blame them and they're welcome to it, but holding on to it is the only way I might get my money. Can I legally do this? THANKS

Last edited:

seniorjudge

tomagus said:
FLORIDA I rented a room to someone who left owing me a lot of money. This person left behind a lot of junk, some personal possessions and a new TV. I intend to hold this stuff until he pays what he owes me. (PROBLEM)! - I have since found out that the TV was rented and the rental company wants it back. I don't blame them and they're welcome to it, but holding on to it is the only way I might get my money. Can I legally do this? THANKS
Q: Can I legally do this?

A: No, keeping or taking someone else's property is theft (stealing).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">