• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

millertime22

Iowa. A month ago I was in my appartment hanging out with some friends and alot of people happened to show up because a party close by got busted and police saw them walking towards our appartment. Two of my friends were getting ready to leave and I was saying by to them. They opened up the door and while it was closing I was talking to my friend. The door was about shut and I was leaning to lock it when the door hit my shoulder and I went sideways having my foot jammed under the door. I backed up a man in plain clothes busted through the door and said he was a police offer. He started asking me why I wouldn't let anyone leave our appartment and I said two of my friends just left so I wasn't making anyone stay. Then he said don't question the authority of an officer. I then sit down on the couch and he asks for the peoples id's that live here and me and my three other roomates hand him our id's. He takes all for our us to jail for disorderley house and me for assult on a peace officer for "slamming the door on him" when actually he slamed the door open on me and hitting my foot.

I just got the police report back and It said he was wearing a uniform when acutually he was wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a green coat. He also had two other officers with him dressend in police attire. I was wondering how he could enter the appartment in the first place? He said he thought he saw underage people drinking which the people that were there drinking I didn't know how old they were. He didn't check one persons id that was there but just dumped out all the beer. Also I talked to my friend who left the appartment and he told me when he left the police officer pointed the gun at him and asked him if he was involved in the kidnapping. In the report he said nothing about the kidnapping which was kind of weird? But I was wonding if I could get some help? thanks

Kane

Millertime, what kind of offense is "disorderly house"? I did a quick google search, and all I could come up with is that it's probably a city ordinance, and that it may or may not have something to do with prostitution (but probably not).

If you live in Iowa City, the maximum fine is $500, at least according to one website.

If you got a ticket, it should say somewhere on the ticket what the the fine is.

You'll need to decide whether you want to pay it, or go to court, and whether or not you want to get a lawyer.

Most likely, you'll want to pay it, since that'll be cheaper.

millertime22

Actually I got a appointed attourney for my assult on a peace officer charge. On the ticket it says "minors drinking alcohol in residence." They never checked anyones ID's though that were in there. It is also a city ordinance.

Kane

Sorry, I missed the part about the assault on a police officer. (Reading too fast I guess).

That's (as you know) a more serious charge. In my state, it's a felony.

If you have an attorney, it's always best to go to that person for advice about your case. For one thing, you can be sure he's actually an attorney. (I could just be some schmuck on the internet.)

You mentioned you had the police report. What is the officer's version of what happened?

Police can't enter a private home without permission, a warrant, or probable cause + exigent circumstances. However, probable cause is determined from the police officer's point of view, based on what he knew at the time - which is why I ask what his version is.

Also, what does your lawyer say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">