• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOw does the E-filing work? Do I need my w-2?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeynhia

What is the name of your state?Nevada

On e-filing with H&R Block, DO I need my w-2 or can I go ahead and use my last paystub? Im just wondering. Thanks

Snipes5

You must have your W-2. The IRS does not accept efile with a substitute W-2 (ie paystub) until February 15th, unless you are active duty military.

Snipes

LdiJ

joeynhia said:
What is the name of your state?Nevada

On e-filing with H&R Block, DO I need my w-2 or can I go ahead and use my last paystub? Im just wondering. Thanks
I ditto snipes, however you can certainly go ahead and enter the return using your last paystub, just to see how the numbers come out. However, you need to be certain to go back and correct it once you have your W2.

joeynhia

LdiJ said:
I ditto snipes, however you can certainly go ahead and enter the return using your last paystub, just to see how the numbers come out. However, you need to be certain to go back and correct it once you have your W2.
Correct it? So I CAN e-file it?

ENASNI

joeynhia said:

No read it again. You just punch in the numbers so you can see the results, you don't send it till you have the W-2.

CarrieT

joeynhia said:
Joeynhia - you can put all the figures into the program and it will tell you what you will owe or what you will get back, but then at the end you will either click 'quit' or click 'send'. If you dont have your w-2 yet, then you just close the program and it will save those figures.
Also, when you efile, your employers tax id numbers and control number will have to be input, and those numbers are on the w-2. With many employers once you put that information in, the IRS can look up the w2 your employer filed on you, and thus accept your efiled return. But you have to wait until you actually HAVE that w2. (Your employers is required to have it postmarked, I believe, no later than Feb 1st)
Once you have it, if all the figures are correct then all you have to do is click 'send' (basically) and its done.
Hope that helps
Carrie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">