• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hbryant

i work at a sugar plant as a benchchemist for 21 years they have passed me over to get a better job for 20 years, this year the boss told me he didnt know i hadnt been trained for the shift chemist job,so he said he would train me for 6 days and when the shift chemist called in i would be used as a back up. they trained me for 6 days and theyused me for l whole 8 hour shift and a four hour shift when someone called in , so that means when they pay you that pay you are trained, I have a check stub for the l2 hours at that pay (shift chemist). The lab supervisor even called me at home and said i would be a back up. The shift chemist called in one week and they overlooked me again. So i took a union shop steward with me and went to the supervisor and i asked him didnt you tell me i was going to be a back up when the shift chemist called in ,he said no i didnt , i said then your renigging on what you said, you are not a gentleman, he threw up his hands and his face turned red and he said this meeting is over. The next day they told me to come in a little early and i was fired. They will not even okay my unemployment. i feel it is age discrimination and they said i was too slow, but yet they paid me to work when they couldnt get no one else. After 21 years of working is this really fair.

ALawyer

It could be age discrimination. But starting out with a fight with the boss is not the easiest way to get started.

Ask the union. Or get a lawyer!

H

hbryant

age discrimination

the union shop steward was with me and he said we cant help you now. so the union had a meeting on the matter and the union lawyer said they couldnt help me. i was not even told of the meeting so i could defend myself.

B

buddy2bear

They fired you for insubordination. However, being fired just might be too drastic of a penalty. You should put some pressure on your union representative to file a grievance. Arbitrators don't like to see 21 year employees fired for only insubordination (depending on whether you "popped" the guy or not) and you just might be able to get your job back, with or without backpay -- most times, because of the insubordination, it would be without backpay, but still you would have your job back if you wanted it with no detriment to your seniority status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">