• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What state to file taxes in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gibbler

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NM

I received a pension payout in IL from my ex husband's
account that was divided thru a QDRO. I then moved to NM and bought a house that I have done work on. I had no income that came from NM in 2005, but I do have expenses, including some hefty medical ones and was told by an accountant in IL that since this is my first house in 2 years I get a 10K dedction for that. How do I go about filing my taxes. Do I claim the money I received from the pension in IL or NM (as per federal law 20% of the check was kept when I received it in IL).
What about deductions? Can I claim deductions in both states even if the money came to me when I was in IL. This all seems very complicated and have no idea what to do. Thanks.

LdiJ

Gibbler said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NM

I received a pension payout in IL from my ex husband's
account that was divided thru a QDRO. I then moved to NM and bought a house that I have done work on. I had no income that came from NM in 2005, but I do have expenses, including some hefty medical ones and was told by an accountant in IL that since this is my first house in 2 years I get a 10K dedction for that. How do I go about filing my taxes. Do I claim the money I received from the pension in IL or NM (as per federal law 20% of the check was kept when I received it in IL).
What about deductions? Can I claim deductions in both states even if the money came to me when I was in IL. This all seems very complicated and have no idea what to do. Thanks.
Its really not as complicated as it sounds. However, you can make your life much simpler if you just have a professional tax preparer handle your tax return. It may cost you a 150.00 or so, but it will let you breath a little easier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">